Should I major in Physics?

I'm currently a college freshman majoring in accounting, but I have always loved studying physics and want to learn more about it. I want to major in it, but it doesnt seem like there are a lot of career opportunities, and everyone tells me that you can learn just by reading books. What should I do?

• F

Accounting is boring but you’ll get well rewarded for it. Physics may be more interesting but when it’s your job it’s not as exciting and you’ll be paid peanuts.

At the end of the day, all jobs tend to be routine and boring, so the more you earn the less you’ll hate going to work.

Only major in it if you want to be a teacher. 

• Lili

There are no good careers in the sciences for people with only bachelor's degrees.

But why not plan to do a graduate degree?  If you really love Physics, that's what you should do.

A PhD in Physics should be funded by a graduate fellowship. You will not need to take out loans.  My PhD was entirely funded by fellowships and teaching/research assistantships.  I had no loan burden.

• garry

are you smart enough to study physics , if you where then you wouldnt be asking our advice ..

• david

If you love it major in it. You *WILL* make tons of cash doing what you love. 

Do some research.  Use a job posting site like Indeed and enter "BS Physics," or variations on that.  See what jobs come up.  It is true that "pure science" careers tend to require a masters or Ph.D.,  not just a bachelors.  At the same time, if you really don't want to be an accountant, studying accounting is a great idea, right?  

As an aside, yes, people can and do a lot of learning about topics they enjoy throughout their lives without getting a formal education or degree it it.  If you don't actually want to be a physicist, then you can take classes or learn about the topics without getting a degree in it.

You also should have room in your schedule to take a couple of physics classes.  See if you like it.

There won't be a lot of career opportunities in physics, per se, unless you get a graduate degree. 

One job you might consider after you graduate is becoming an actuary. Mostly math and statistics majors become actuaries, but there's no reason you can't become one with a physics degree. 

Also, if you live near a federal government facility, a physics major would qualify you for a GS-1301 Physical Scientist job. 

During your college years, explore every opportunity for paid and unpaid internships and externships, so you get a lot of work experience before you even get your degree. You'll not only make excellent networking contacts (assuming you're an excellent worker) but you can avoid the "how can I get experience when every job requires experience?" dilemma. (https://science.osti.gov/wdts/suli)

At this stage, why not just take the introductory classes for both accounting and physics? Physics might require a different calculus than accounting, but there shouldn't be a problem substituting regular calculus for business calculus (if you started with business calculus 1 this semester, you'll have to retake it as regular calculus 1 for physics). If you really like physics at the college level, you might be able to double major in physics and accounting, if your grades are high enough for a double major and if your college doesn't require a large amount of core curriculum requirements. That way you could still be an accountant after you graduated, but study what you like in college. Or would you want to teach science in high school? You could double major in physics and education. First stop: your advisor, to see what's possible. 

• John

"... and everyone tells me that you can learn just by reading books."

Whatever the subject of a conversation is, terms such as "I've heard," "people say," and "everyone tells me" should raise red flags. Try to picture yourself applying for a job in a science field.   Then you tell the interviewer you never had classes, but read on your own instead.  The interview would be over, and not because you were hired on the spot.  Always think and do research on your own, and never rely on "I've heard."  

I'm also not sure if you have thoroughly researched job opportunities.  Right now, STEM subjects (including Physics) are among the hot majors in the job market.    

• Tavy

Physics are the basics of life, anyone who has a degree in it shows they are able to think laterley .

My son-has a BSc, MSc and PhD,all physics based.

He works in IT coding,never been short of a job.

UK

Maybe you should major in Psychology - then you can possibly start to figure out why you cannot make your own decisions.