Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

If i texted you and said this...?

"Hey how are you? Just kinda wanted to talk to you about something?" 

What would you be thinking? Would you be worried? Does it sound serious to you? Be honest. I sent this to a friend who is quite sensitive and she said nothing. I'm wondering if she thought something bad happened?

ok worst answer goes to Robert cos you're obviously a prick! I wonder did it ever actually occur to your small mind that a person may use that wording just to be on the safe side, you know thinking like "I know you're sensitive so I wanna be careful with my wording here" I've never texted someone when bored and never will. But thank you for making my anxious mind worry that's what she thought! Prick

Yeah because the natural reaction to a completely innocuous message is to assume something bad might be happening so best to ignore it! HAH And you complain about the quality of your answers!

• Ocimom

I'd be a little concerned as to what they wanted.  It may be something they feel they can share with you and you will help them.

Maybe she's thinking of a reply. Maybe she thinks you're mad at her about something so that is why she isn't answering. Or maybe she's busy. 

Why did you say "kinda"? That was really dumb! I don't think you realise what that word actually means. It's yes and no in equal measure. If you sent me that text, i would be so confused! I would definitely suspect something was wrong, but I'd be thinking "does she want me to answer then or....what?" "Does she even wanna tell me?" I think that's why she didn't answer. She was unsure whether you wanted a reply or not. I actually think if you had dropped "kinda" from the text before you sent it, she might have asked what's up. Don't ever say the word "kinda" when you know you definitely want an answer, maybe you thought it looked cool or something, but it comes across to the reader like you're not sure yourself. And usually when you're unsure it means "no". Could also be interpreted as though you want a answer, just not via text. Or maybe even "I'll talk to you but you don't have to say anything, just read" 

Bottom line is "kinda" shouldn't have been used at all, It's very vague!

just a friendly text, no problem.

It does sound serious to me! I feel like if it wasn't serious at all you really need to work on your wording then apologise in case she misinterpreted it cos i would too as something really bad! What you said is something someone would say about something major and really important! So much so you're even unsure whether you want to tell her! That means you probably don't for fear of upsetting her. She probably assumes the worst, so to keep up appearances, have a break from texting her for a bit, then when you text her again, so she doesn't suspect it's something bad, i would strongly suggest changing the words. E.g "can i ask you a question?" "Is it ok if i ask you this?" "just been wondering something, hope you won't mind" you shouldn't have to feel like you're asking her permission, but you should definitely reword it. I feel like you worded it like you did just to mix it up a bit or something. Don't do that. If it's not really that important make that clear.

• edward

I would have texted you back.  “Sounds good, i’ll be right there” i would get in my car and drive over there because i read it in a serious tone because you didn’t use any emoji’s

• Darla

Wrong number dude. 

Sounds like you have a flair for the dramatic. If someone text me that, I would assume they wanted something from me. So I would prepare for one of those awkward favours to be asked. 

It definitely doesn't sound good! I would think "oh **** this sounds bad" I wouldn't actually know how to respond to it. Cos if it wasn't bad surely you'd word it differently. I'd be wary of saying anything in case i said the wrong thing. I think your friend did the right thing not saying anything