How to replace glass in sliding patio door?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I will echo what others have said about 'not a diy sort of thing,' but also to point out that these doors don't have air in the middle, they have  gas that keeps them from fogging on the inside.  The door should (must) be purchased whole, with this in mind. 

• 1 month ago

Not really a DIY type thing.

• 1 month ago

The glass for patio doors whether single or insulated (double) must be safety glass, normally tempered ( can not be cut after tempering). They come in standard sizes providing they didn't stick you with a non standard door. A normal gasket for a patio door is 1/2 " deep so add 1" glass that you see. Most glass shops will stock standard patio door glass.  

To replace: Lay the door flat. 

remove corner screws & using a mallet or hammer w/ block of wood  tap off the metal frame. 

Clean & reinstall the rubber gasket around the new glass & gently tap on the metal frame keeping it as square as possible.

Glass man

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not really a DIY type thing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

On one of the corners of the glass you may find etched information which can lead you to possibly getting a quote for a replacement panel. This is how I was able to get an Anderson casement window (framed glass panel) replaced for a reasonable cost.

It may be worth your while and budget to check prices to replace the slider panel vs to have only the glass replaced.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Job for a glazier - it has to be safety glass. Get a couple of quotations.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can get a quote from any double glazing firm or fitters they are ten a penny , it may be on your insurance 

• 1 month ago

It is cheaper to buy a whole new door unit

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Call the glass/door people.  That is something that requires a shop, special glass.  You might also talk to them about a better door.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It would be best and safer to ask a glazier to do the job. Get three quotations. If you are going to attempt it yourself you need to order the glass exactly to size. There is normally beading on the inside to pry out. I'm a DIY guy but I would leave it to a professional.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.