Darla asked in PetsBirds · 1 month ago

Keeping chickens is easy or hard?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Kim R
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It isn't terribly difficult if you do your research and have a proper area prepared for them ahead of time. If you go into it without doing these two things, your chances of success will be much, much lower. 

Source(s): I used to have chickens and turkeys.
  • 1 month ago

That depends on how you do it and your definitions of "easy" and "hard". My flock takes up less than an hour per day, normally. When the henhouse needed repair, that was another matter. I raise the hens for eggs, so I have to spend a little more time than I would if they were pets or meat chickens. They are also free-range, which is a bit more work than raising caged chickens but I think the results are worth it. A neighbor pastured his chickens (even less work) but lost his entire flock to marauding foxes.

• 1 month ago

try it and see and then you'll know

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It depends on how much you like the work and why you are keeping them . I live in the country so my biggest problem is varmints killing them . Not a problem with livestock guard dogs which I already keep . Don't let the chickens roost in trees, owls will get them .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

try keeping some and see and then you'll know

• 1 month ago

Easy with the right equipment and making sure the floor of the coup is concrete, stops foxes and there are benefits to a rooster because they become a guard over the hens, if you refrigerate eggs quickly they won't develop, they won't all be fertilised but just refrigerate them all. Only thing is cockadoodledo at 5am, earlier sometimes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.