Darla
Darla asked in PetsBirds · 1 month ago

Keeping chickens is easy or hard?

• Kim R
    Favorite Answer

It isn't terribly difficult if you do your research and have a proper area prepared for them ahead of time. If you go into it without doing these two things, your chances of success will be much, much lower. 

Source(s): I used to have chickens and turkeys.

That depends on how you do it and your definitions of "easy" and "hard". My flock takes up less than an hour per day, normally. When the henhouse needed repair, that was another matter. I raise the hens for eggs, so I have to spend a little more time than I would if they were pets or meat chickens. They are also free-range, which is a bit more work than raising caged chickens but I think the results are worth it. A neighbor pastured his chickens (even less work) but lost his entire flock to marauding foxes.

try it and see and then you'll know

• Kenny

It depends on how much you like the work and why you are keeping them . I live in the country so my biggest problem is varmints killing them . Not a problem with livestock guard dogs which I already keep . Don't let the chickens roost in trees, owls will get them .

try keeping some and see and then you'll know

Easy with the right equipment and making sure the floor of the coup is concrete, stops foxes and there are benefits to a rooster because they become a guard over the hens, if you refrigerate eggs quickly they won't develop, they won't all be fertilised but just refrigerate them all. Only thing is cockadoodledo at 5am, earlier sometimes.