How come Walmart is only open from 7am-10pm?

I noticed their hours are a lot more restricted than most other stores during the Covid pandemic.

Favorite Answer

They realized its more profitable to be open fewer hours. Plus, fewer people are out from 10pm-7am versus compared to the pandemic.  For months they closed at 8pm.  I hope they get back to staying open later or 24/7 again because I am a night owl. But, as I approach 60 and my area is not great, I should not be out much past dark for safety reasons. My street is fine. The drive to my street is by some seedy areas.

Because when they were open more hours they had massive problems with loss (shoplifters)

• Scott

Because that's what they chose to do.

That's far more hours than lots of retailers, more than the vast majority of retailers, in fact! There are still some major Super Walmarts open 24 hrs. 

Where I live the law is restricting them to 22:00 in parts, I don't see how it helps with covid but Boris Johnson thinks it does. If you live in another country without this law then I imagine it's because when I've been late night shopping there were not many customers, there was more staff doing the shelves but they can do that with it closed, save having to pay cashiers and lose the small amount of customers but the savings on not having to pay cashiers might be more than the customer loss.

Most people go to bed around that time, no point staying open.