Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

how long do you think courts will stay closed ?

I have debts that are now 4 years old. The statute of limitations on collecting debts is 5 years. If courts remain closed until next year, I don't have to pay these debts. Do you think courts will remain closed until next year?

Check the applicable courts website - civil case or criminal. Suck it up, either pay your debts or file your bankruptcy. 

Start fresh! This pandemic will not last forever, but it will not be the last pandemic in our lifetimes - well, the ones who survive's lifetime, anyway. 

• donnie

They are open where I am 

The courts in many states have reopened with more planned soon. I'd also expect some sort of an extension to allow for the creditors to collect as they're extending many other things.

Courts Aren't "closed" at least in the  US. If yore question made sense, Id answer,

I went to N,.Mesa Justice court Yesterday, I fought a ticket. Some had tickets from May...

( I won.)

You will still have to pay them.  The statute of limitations is the time limit for filing a case, not for it to be heard.  As long as the case is filed before the statute of limitations expires, even if the courts stayed closed for 10 years, you would still have to pay.

No. The courts are open now.

• xyzzy

The courts are open in Georgia. Chief Justice Harold D. Melton of the Supreme Court of Georgia announced  that he  signed an order on Saturday, Oct. 10 that lifts the suspension of jury trials across Georgia.

In addition to what you've already been told, what makes you think the legislature can't extend the statute of limitations?   It would be very, very easy.  They've changed/created lots of laws due to Covid.

They ARE NOT closed. Many are operating in limited capacity.

Also note: The statute of limitation ONLY applies to FILING the lawsuit to enforce the debt. As long as the lawsuit is filed within the statute of limitations, the case is valid, regardless of when it actually goes to trial. In addition, even if the statute of limitation lapses, they can still COLLECT, they just can't enforce collections in court. They CAN refuse to do business with you unless you reaffirm the existing debt.

In addition, MOST jurisdictions that have even temporarily curtailed access to courts have extended deadlines by the same amount.

• Rick B

If you took on this debt, and you agreed to pay it, why would you not pay it???  Do you have no integrity?