Question about RAM...?

I'm using this old PC and it has a 1gb RAM. Would it make a difference if I switched it to a 2gb?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

it your running windows xp and not loading much you should be good

but doubling your ram, programs have more resources to work with

• 1 month ago

come on, nowadays people are using more than 2 GB

• 1 month ago

I am afraid of 2GB of RAM in this day and age is close to worthless. Sorry but most software requires 2 GB to just run let alone to operate properly let alone use them in any effective way. 

• 1 month ago

No. Not 2gb. These days people are generally using 16 to 20 gb of RAM.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I there, invest in new one even 3- 4 GB ram is less for any laptop so upgrade to a good pc or laptop which has 6-12 GB ram.

• 1 month ago

Nope. Like others said, just buy a new one. I personally don't like less than 16gb of RAM

• Rayal
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes.  Depending on your OS and age of the computer more ram is always better. 

• 1 month ago

Yes, it would improve the performance of the PC.  You did not tell us what OS is running on the PC. That is going to determine how much a boast you will get from the additional RAM.

If you are running Windows, it would have to XP or earlier.  With XP you would see some increase in performance.  It will have to do less file swapping (moving of information in and out of RAM because it is out of RAM) and be able to run more programs at the same time.

How much a boast you will get will also depend on the processor.  If it is already running a maximum, additional RAM will not make much difference.

If you are running a version of Linux or other non-Windows OS, you may not see as much of an improvement because of how they handle memory differently then Windows does. 

The long and short is that adding more RAM is not going to harm or decrease the PC in any way, and is very likely to increase performance.

• 1 month ago

Increasing RAM would certainly improve performance, but if everything is working okay on the old PC, there may be little benefit to upgrade, as it may be near end of life and its software components may not be current.

• 1 month ago

some, yes.  and, that's quite old and, now, small ... webpages have gotten a lot bigger in past decade alone

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.