Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Is it okay to put everything on hold for the sake of your mental health?

At the moment, i have so many things going on in my life, and am still mourning certain losses in my family.

I feel like breaking down, and even had suicidal thoughts (which is very uncommon of me, but I feel trapped with where I am in life, and feel like I have no where to breathe)

Is it okay, to just walk away from everything that makes me feel this way? Despite the repercussions, I feel like I need too

It's normal and wise to take a break from an overwhelmingg life.  The trick is to be aware that you're reaching your limit, so you can make minimal arrangements, and head off horrible repercussions.

For example, if you had an infant, you could give 2 days warning to your spouse, partner, parent, sibling, or friend that you just can't take it and need them to watch the baby for 3 days, as opposed to just suddenly walking out without telling anyone.  Same thing with work, you can announce that you need to take some mental health days after the big presentation, as opposed to simply vanishing the day of.  When you do this, just knowing that a break is coming will make you feel better.

I too am mourning my mother and father who passed away in the last year.  I get depressed but I try to find things that will make me feel better.  It could be going out with friends, listening to music, reading, doing your favorite hobby, all things I've been doing.  Maybe you need to take a vacation.  Whatever it is that can make you feel better go do it.  I'll pray for you and don't give up--things have gotten better for me and I know they'll get better for you too.

Yes, because if you don't stop I tend to you, no one else will.

Just put a lid on everything like Joe Biden does. 

If that zombie can do it anyone can.

• Not only is it OK,it may be necessary.Without peace of mind and clarity of thought,you won't be able to function properly or achieve much.

Earlier this week I was having high levels of stress which stopped me from finding solutions to my problems.So till I calmed down,I couldn't make any progress.

Go easy on yourself.Sorry to hear of your losses. God bless.

Of course it's okay. There are times in one's life when you have to do exactly this in order to get your thoughts and feelings under more control. Don't feel guilty or bad about it. Do whatever you have to to regain your equilibrium. 

Yes, it’s ok. It’s also OK if you break down. Philosophically and spiritually I’m against suicide, and I’ve felt like I really wanted to die many times, but for personal reasons I wouldn’t kill myself. I already tried that once many many years ago. Believe too much in karma and reincarnation now. I don’t wanna undo whatever progress I’ve made in this particular lifetime in trying to rectify bad karma from past lives. Some people say if you kill yourself you have to “start all over again” , karmically, in the next life. Don’t want to do that

Sometimes you do need to walk away from it and take time for yourself. There shouldn't be any shame in it. My thesis supervisor volunteerily checked himself into a psychiatric clinic. People from all walks of life can reach this point.

Sounds like you might have what is called a burn out.

You have the right to walk away and take a break if its too much. but dont forget to come back.*Me -Time is very important* 

talk to someone you can turn to or go to a shelter and play with pets*they need love too and are the best listeners in the world*sometimes it is hard to face everything but good time will defentely come soon. please dont think of suicudal because you worth so much more than death.

• Cammie

Just for the sake of it, change the words "Mental Health " with Cancer.

If you were not doing well because you had [ G-d forbid ] Cancer,neither you nor anyone else would would question you or tell you you have to keep up with responsibilities.

Mental health issues are just as bad as any other illness.

I wish you the best.