Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Is it possible to get a decent reliable car under $5000?

I already have the cash and im debating whether to get a used car under $5000 or put the $5,000 towards a brand new car and finance it but i don't want to pay more then $250 a month. I was thinking maybe take the risk and get a used car will it be reliable under $5000? 

If you have friends or travel around neighborhoods or know mechanic types and have friends that have friends.  Networking.  Your connections matter if they are into cars or you are good friends for other reasons.  I have been offered vehicles for $0,00 (they did not like it because it was set up for dual fuel (propane&gasoline) in a pickup truck. Nothing wrong with the body work or engine and it could be unhooked from the dual fuel mode.(I figured)

I let that go.  Not into pickup trucks and had no place to store it.    

. I did buy a $400 diesel VW which cost me another $100 to get running on 4 cylinders.  That lasted 15 years(with regular maintenance).(I was getting tired of the car by this point in time), So, drove it a MILLION MILES then sold it to someone else. for $1000.  They drove off.

. Any car is reliable provided you do the required maintenance (timing belt every 5 years or 60,000mi. and regular oil changes.

I can buy a brand new car and drive it into the ground in a year.(by not taking care of it)

You will NEVER find a deal on a used car lot. Those guys buy the car for $1000 and charge you $5000 (so made $4000 profit by adding a balloon)

. You can't be in a rush and you got to be open to driving all sorts of cars (maybe a soccer mom's station wagon or a Volvo 4 door because the price is right)

I have had to suffer through sports cars and a variety of other cars as work would sometimes demand it from me...or just that my interests changed. (I have not had a station wagon yet-V8) but the ones I did have, you can sleep in the back fully stretched out. I have had Vans, 2 door cars, 4 door cars and now a minivan.

Two years ago I purchased a 2002 VW Bora v5 for exactly 5,000 and it is a great little car

Like all cars that I Buy I put new Tyres on her, so I paid another $440 for 5 new Tyres

It depends, a new car will last longer without problems but used depending on what it is, what’s wrong with it, the last time it was worked on, how many miles, and more. I’d say look on local places like Facebook marketplace or Craigslist even and find something in your budget that fits what you need it for.

• JOHN B

You never know about used cars. In my experience a used car is taking someone else's problems. With 5k down, $250 is probably doable and you'll get a warranty.

• jason

Get a used toyota camry or a honda accord for second choice.

Yeah get a used Corolla ideally with a manual transmission. You cant afford to finance a new car cuz you have to have full coverage insurance until you pay it off. Maybe one day you will be able to purchase a hyundai accent or toyota corolla with cash but you're not going to be able to do that in the first 25-30 years of your life. Go buy some land and finance a travel trailer. Once you have some land and a house then you can start saving for things you dont really need like a nice new car. As for travel trailers, look at the FSX 260RT or something like that. Toy haulers are cool because you can drag a ventless washer dryer combo or a motorcycle or bicycle in there 

• Jay P

Possible?  Definitely!

But you have to weed out the crap to find the gems.

• F

No I would say $5000 is possibly the worst price bracket for a car.

You’re probably looking at something 10 years old or 6 or so with a high mileage.

You won’t get much worse for $2-3000 and have money for repairs.

You would probably be better spending $10-15k on something around 3 years with low mileage.

• User

Yes, it's possible.

What you need to do:

A - get a make and model known for its reliability

B - check the "car fax" to see if the car has been in a serious accident, fire or flood

C - get a real (certified) mechanic to inspect the vehicle before you buy it

• James

I got my 1996 Infiniti i30 for 350 bucks. A water pump,new struts, new bushings on the suspension got me driving and now a year later I would say I have put about 1000 dollars into the car. Of course I did all the work myself so if you took it to a mechanic it would cost a good bit more but still well under the 5000 you were talking about. The car has been overheated 3 times to the point that it shut itself off and it's still kicking. Now that's reliable. Don't spend too much for the initial purchase because you will most likely need to have it fixed up before it becomes a good daily driver.