Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Why do some people quit their job just because they going to college ?

My brother girl friend quit her walmart job just because shes going to college to become a nurse & she is just letting my brother pay all of it for now. Do people not know how hard it is to pay all by yourself ? You should not quit just because your going to college you should go to college and work no need to rush plus your job is not 24/7 so you can still do college work on your days off or when you get home. 

Mitchell but it is still wrong to quit & just let who ever living with you pay everything.

I know is not my business a$$ holes im just wondering why most people dont care to work just because they go to college. 

If you really care to understand her position you should (1) attend an open house for nursing program and read about (2) requirements that prospective students have to satisfy to be admitted into nursing programs as well as those (3) requirements that they have to satisfy to remain in it, (4) requirements to get into clinical part of the program, and (5) requirements to eventually finish degree program and get a job. Only if you do all of that you would get some understanding of her position. Furthermore, you could inquire with nurses in the filed whether they had the time and energy to work while being students and whether they would consider that a wise idea, and why.

As a nursing student she will eligible for financial aid and scholarships that could cover some of their living expenses. Soon enough, if supported by her family and friend in her endeavor, she will make enough money to support both herself and your brother.

On your update 2. Most people realize that entry level job market is extremely competitive and want to maximize their chances by focusing all their time and energy on getting the highest grades possible, being involved in college activities and clubs, getting through internships or co-ops, and impressing their professors enough to get their recommendation letters. Those are all much more on value by both prospective employers and graduate/professional school admissions staff than having a low-paying and low-skill jobs on your resume this days.

If my brother had a girlfriend that is trying to improve her chances in life, I would be delighted and most supportive of her. The type of people one surrounds him/herself with has a tremendous impact on ones quality of life. Positive people, such as your brother's girlfriend, bring positive impact into peoples lives. Also, in healthy relationships people support each other even when it requires some hard effort, discomfort, or sacrifice on their part, because making for others possible to grow will make it possible for both parties to grow together. Let them be happy.

Sometimes it’s the logistics of not being in the dorms for winter or summer break. Places don’t always hold your job and it’s not always easy to find seasonal work unless it’s a work study job. But I agree it’s hard to manage financially without any income and it’s also better to have more paid work experience when they graduate.

• garry

you haven't been to college to study a degree have  you ..if you ever go then you will understand , till then think and be smart enough to go to college .

• drip

Nursing is a extremely demanding program. Most nursing student do not work. The department doesn’t recommend it. Most nursing programs do not allow for part time students. She will be in class at least 15 hours per week and have 45 hours of study time per week. Once she start her clinical courses she will be even busier.

And this is between your brother and his girlfriend.

Butt out.

My daughter worked three jobs while her husband got his Masters and Doctorate degree. He finished and got a job immediately and is now making close to six figures.  She works one part time job now. His salary is now paying off both of their student loans and all of the bills.

Couples do help each other.

Coming out of nursing school she will be making at least $50,000 her first year. With no shortage of jobs. 

Nursing is one of the hardest when it comes to the education, that is why the job itself is known to be hard and demanding, but that's why nurses get paid a lot and with benefits. I live in NYC and nurses, right out of school get paid 70k-80k yearly.. and that is AFTER taxes.

Many people can't work and go to school for nursing.. but let me tell ya, it's worth it, especially when it comes to the medical field. 

I worked part time at a candle store while attending college and recieved my bachelors degree in bisnuess. 

I know that without my bachelors degree, I would be making 30k less than I am now, (7 years into working) and 20k less when I first starting working out of college (entry level).

If you can work and go to school, that's great, but your gpa will not be the best more than likely. I know when it comes to nursing, especially nursing schools, you usually have to maintain a certain GPA (typically a high one) to continue to stay in school.

Why are you so concerned with your brother helping his girl out? what does that have to do with you? Yeah, she can be going to school part time but I would advice anyone not to, especially with the tougher education that nursing demands, but statistically, (you can google it), people who go to school part time and work take much longer to get their degrees or end up flunking/dropping out and wasting their money / things get in the way, etc. 

Investing in your future is always the way to go.. and if your brother wants to help his significant other out with that, good for him.

If she can get through nursing school, in today's economy, she'll always have a job and be making bank. Your brother is a grown man, he can make his own decisions. 

I don't know 

why people doing this ****

college is just for fun

Nursing programs are so demanding that many prohibit working. Jobs interfere with clinical rotations & other requirements. However, 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk. Just not nursing students, typically. 

Your job is not 24/7, but college takes a lot more time than just the time you spend in class.

It's not like high school. In college, for every hour you spend in lecture, you can expect to spend two or three hours outside of class, doing homework, reading assignments, researching and writing papers, etc. And nursing may take even more than that, since there are clinical classes and lab assignments.

So going to college full time (15 credits per semester) will take at least 45-60 hours per week, the equivalent of a full-time job, and then some. 

The vast majority of people can't do that and work full-time. While most people can swing a part-time job (no more than 20 hours per week) while going to school full-time, my recommendation is, if it's at all possible, not to work at all during your first year of (full-time) college. If, at the end of two semesters, you're getting good grades and have time to spare, then add a part-time job, but not before then.

Anyway, most students get loans to help pay for college, and loans can include living expenses, so you don't even know whether it's true he'll be "paying for everything." For all you know, she's contributing just as much, or more, than she did when she was working. 

And all that said, it is completely none of your business. If your brother wants to pay for everything, it's up to him. Give him credit for having half a brain, please.

She quit because it's a lot easier for her to focus on just school and she has someone willing to pay for all her other expenses.  Your brother will likely be paying for her for the rest of his life. He is young, it will take another 5 years or so for him to figure out there's no real end to it, just phases.  

Because I thought I needed to finish college in 2 years and could get a 50k job.