Lj asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 2 months ago

How do I clear up space on my computers drive?

I got this laptop like 2 or 3 years ago, I dont use it very often but decided to start and it has barely in free space on it, I dont even have barely anything on the computer, just one game and google chrome, but it has very little free space, can anyone help?

delete windows. no really, lol. installing windows xp would be ideal. the older they are the more efficient, but also the less likely they can run a new machine.

next best option - delete all but the most recent restore point, uninstall as many windows updates as possible, turn off automatic updates, do not manually update, download and run CCleaner.

DON'T reset your computer, which one idiot here advises. That would wipe all your data.

One excellent tool is Wise disk cleaner at https://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-disk-cleaner.html No matter what other tool you use, this will find more trash to remove.  Check also to see if you allocated a lot of space for system restore. That can easily be reset to a smaller space allotment. Look for programs you do not use. Use Winderstat at https://windirstat.net/ to sort your directories by size to locate areas to clean up. Winderstat is free, as is wise disk cleaner.

You did not tell me if it's running Windows 10 or Windows 7 but if it's running Windows 10 hold down the shift key and keep it held down. At the same time restart your computer from the start menu. You will come to the recovery console. Choose the word troubleshooting. Now choose the word reset this PC and erase my files. When your computer is done with this process you will have a clean computer with maximum space returned to you

There isn't much you can do. You probably have one of those HP Stream laptops or other low end laptop that has very little internal storage. The most I can suggest would be to uninstall the OEM bloatware (helper programs, diagnostics, product improvement, etc), delete the temporary files in %temp%, run disk clean up, clear your browser's history and cache.

The problem is that Windows 10 is using up most of that 30GB drive. 16 - 20 GB along with what game you have installed, temp files and restore points, maybe a swap file, doesn't leave much left.