Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Do state colleges teach kids to hate anyone who disagrees?

Officially, no. In reality, more than we'd like to believe.

Try spending some time on a state college campus to get a sense of an answer.

Good colleges teach students to think critically, recognize one's own (and others) biases, and realize one's own perspective and worldview as particular, and, likely, a narrow image. Thus, no, in theory colleges do not teach this.

However, most people who have learned to think critically and with fundamentals of reason also recognize how harmful and dangerous misinformed, biased, and prejudiced thinking can be for the world. So when a student who has learned this is presented with a person who disagrees with them on grounds of these sort of flawed or harmful reasonings, while not taught to hate this person, can react strongly against these sort of  views and the people who hold them. This isn't simply because colleges 'teach kids to hate anyone to disagree' but because these students realize how truly harmful such misinformation and bigotry within part or the whole of such a person's disagreement can be for the world.

• Lili

Don't be a moron, dear.

Only a very under-educated person would have posted this little-boy "question".

Is that how you want to appear, sweetie?

I'm currently in a class as we speak remotely. I attend a SUNY college right outside of NYC. 

An example of this was after the debate, in an argumentation course I was taking, the professor is talking about it (which I thought was not allowed, even in a college class setting), of course most state colleges are known for being liberal, especially in the north-eastern reigon just because I attend a NY state college, I'm personally neither republican NOR democrat. I don't think either candidates are good fits for running our country, HOWEVER, in answering your question, in my case being a student at a SUNY institution, if I were to come right out and say I am republican, my professor 9 times out of 10 would be bias and probably fail me because of it.

Unfortunetly, as a SUNY student, I have seen and heard that when it comes to politics, stick to the popular opinion of the sphere of the situation at hand. For instance, if you go to a liberal college (typically state colleges in my reigon of the country), and you want a passing grade, don't argue against it or keep your mouth shut. 

Unfair but to be safe, go with the popular opinion if you want to do well. 

Source(s): SUNY Student in NY state.
  • drip

Of course not. No they do not

No..            

Source(s): 2 time alumna University of Oklahoma. Also University of Arizona 1975-1976
  • donnie

Something Needs to be done about this.