traditional dessert for wedding anniversary?

we've heard serving cake and ice cream is traditional for a wedding anniversary. but to save on funds. we're thinking of serving cupcakes and ice cream parfait. which is best? cake and ice cream? cupcakes and ice cream parfait? or doesn't it matter? (picture of ice cream parfait below)

Dave and I recently celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary and I’ve always wanted to recreate some of the culinary moments we remember from our wedding.

The best part of all this was our oldest child thought she was going to a wedding and invited her school friends, teachers etc. We tried explaining what an anniversary was, but it was too cute watching her get all excited to see ‘the bride AND the groom’ and how she wanted to kiss them and wear a fancy dress.

It was ten years ago when Dave and I got married. We had the most amazing almond and raspberry wedding cake by Lincoln Bakery here in Pittsburgh. I gave thought to going back to the bakery to get a small cake done, but decided it was ‘more from the heart’ if I made it myself.

never heard or had ice cream with cake at any anniversary I ever attended. Serve what ever you want, its YOUR party.

You don't say how many guests will be attending.  That could make a difference in how you figure your cost. 

• denise

I'd serve cake or ice cream, not both.

A little side of fruit on either would be a nice addition to serve, and not much more expensive.

It doesn't matter. You can serve anything you like. Cake and ice cream, cupcakes and parfait (I can't see why that would be cheaper), just cake, just ice cream, or any dessert there is.

• n2mama

Have you actually priced it out and know that cupcakes and parfait are cheaper than just cake and ice cream? My experience is that a sheet cake that will be cut is almost always cheaper per serving than individual cupcakes. Same with ice cream-getting a bigger quantity and then scooping out individual servings is likely to be cheaper than a parfait with fruit and cream. If you’re planning a party, then yes, cake and ice cream will require more labor, but that still could be cheaper than individual portions that are pre-made. I’d check my pricing if I were you.

Anniversaries don't have food traditions - as there's no requirement for a party or anything involving anyone but the couple, who can spend it in any way they choose. 

I'd just go for custard - and lots of it!

I've never heard of a traditional wedding anniversary dessert tbh. I think cake and ice cream is just usually served because it has mass appeal and is quick and cheap. Same with all celebrations. Theres just usually cake 

i dont think everyone like strawberry jam tbh....