Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Is it ok to drive a car with oil only half full?

Im thinking i should get an oil change next week. It's an old car so i think it might be burning some oil Even tho i only put about 1500 miles on it since i had an oil change on it last year.

Sure, I only put in half of what the oil is suggested in the owner's manual

Cool story bro.

• F

Fine if you only drive half as far.

• Fred

Is it half full or is it half empty.  If the oil is above the low oil mark on the dipstick it should be ok.

that is why the dipstick is there.  For you to make a judgement call.  My car is new and it burns oil  I got to make sure the oil is between the high mark and the low mark and I am fine.

• Barry

No it's not OK. You should always maintain the level at the highest mark on the dipstick. The oil then has less work to do. If it's not leaking it's burning oil. That's usually due to failed valve stem seals. A mechanic with a brain can replace these without removing cylinder heads using compressed air to hold the valves in place. Worth researching if your car is of sufficient use to you.

You won't usually see lubrication failure doing that, but the remaining oil will suffer more heat stress, possibly oxydizing it quicker. This depends, though, how much oil there actually is in a half full sump. You can consider if that 1/2 is 2quarts low of 8  or2 quarts low of 4 quarts. There can be accelerated wear if the low condition allows the oil pick up to suck air as you brake or corner hard and slosh oil away from it. I would add oil to bring the level up, then go the full recommended distance before doing the oil change. Use an additive to try to reduce oil consumption and check for improvement.

Driving cars with low oil is never a good idea. Motors that have adjustable cam timing are very sensitive to low oil levels and the cam actuators will malfunction from, lack of lubrication. Change your oil every 3,000 miles and top it up every 500 miles if you're burning oil. The reason you are burning oil is because you didn't change the oil enough and let the oil level drop below half way between the upper and lower dipstick marks. Doing that causes the piston rings to seize to the pistons and then the excessive oil burning happens.

first of all, you check the oil when the car is on a flat surface, and has been sitting for at least 6 hours so all the oil has drained back to the pan. if the oil level is close to the L or low point on the dipshit, you add more oil until it's at the F. If the oil level is half-way to the L you can technically still drive around like that but I wouldn't. I would just add more oil. It's not that hard to go buy some oil from a store and add it to the engine and then re-check the oil until the level is full again.

If you let it get too low, then have fun with your seized engine.

To put it simply, the risk you run is the engine seizes And you have a thousand pound paper weight.