Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 2 months ago

Would you let your roommate’s boyfriend stay over for more than a month?

I don’t have a big issue with him being there, but all of my friends have been telling me that it is not considerate that my roommate is allowing him to stay for such a long period. A few days to a week is fine, but anything more than that is just pushing it. And they were saying how just because I am okay with it and not saying anything, my roommate is still not being considerate to me by asking him to pay part of our utilities. And they keep telling me that this behavior is unacceptable and he is just using us for free housing. I feel the need to ask strangers rather than friends and see what your opinion is. 

But ever since they told me how I was being used, I started to see it in their perspectives. Because of their influence, I want them to leave. I am paying 2K a month on rent and is barely home, so they’re basically using all the utilities but I half it with my roommate. And my friends were telling me that there is a huge possibility that the boyfriend is halting her half of the utilities so I end up paying the most out of them both.

People living in the same place should split all expenses equally! That guy is not a man because a real man would INSIST on paying HIS monthly expenses. Where can you go and live for free?

Oh, at your house.

My roommate better NOT have a boyfriend, since she is my wife.

• Ludwig

Flirt with him in an obvious manner.  She will get him out of there.

When you live with roommates, you quickly figure out what each person's preferences and quirks are when it comes to sharing space. Your home is as much yours as it is theirs, and if they're bringing a significant other over most days, everyone should be on the same page – since you're basically adding in another roommate, rent-free. If there's a boyfriend or girlfriend sleeping over when you have roommates, just make sure everyone who lives in the apartment is fine with it.

• L

There may be a breach of the rental agreement you and your roommate signed. Check for that - if the landlord finds out, the violation could get you evicted - and no security deposit returned. Point that out to your roommate. That way it isn't you, but the signed agreement specifying the "rules".

• Zany

Roommates is first and foremost a business deal, two each pay half, three pay a third each each, simple as that, or he can go home if he has one.

• edward

My best friend stayed at my parents house practically every night when we were in high school, he lived next door so he was never too far, when we were in university together he stayed at my house, rent free for 3 years with his girlfriend and baby.  (His girlfriend is a good friend of ours.)  and then he lived with me after a year by himself 3 months.  I never charged him anything.  My sister and her boyfriends are similar in that way too.  They stayed at my house for months at a time without paying rent, not a dime.  My parents even had a lady staying in thier house for almost a whole year when it was only supposed to be a couple weeks

• Barry

Of course I wouldn't allow it. He's freeloading because you allow it. Get her to kick him out.  I expect the landlord would go apeshit if he knew. I would.

Source(s): UK landlord