Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why is my dog so loud at night?

Two weeks ago, we bought a Doberman dog. He's a bit aggressive at times, but he hasn't attacked anyone. For the past week or so, he's been barking at night as if there was an intruder. It got me and my husband up and we had to look for the intruder the first time. The next night, we found out that he apparently does this whenever he sees a car go down our street. It's been waking our neighbors up, who have been complaining about it. What does it mean that my dog flips out whenever he sees a car at night? He doesn't do this during the day.

To answer Jojo:

- The dog is kept inside.

- He is 4 and was for sale because his previous owner died.

- The dog barks if he sees the car's lights.

- His aggression is that he sometimes snarls at pedestrians.

• Jojo
    Favorite Answer

Is the dog kept inside the house at night or outside?

How old is the dog and why was he for sale?

You don't give enough information to be able to help with the barking problem.

Does the dog bark if he hears a vehicle or just when he sees one at night? 

Who or what does he show aggression to?

Update: I can only suggest that at night you have the dog in room where he cannot see car headlights and use blackout curtains at any windows that car headlights shine through.

But without seeing the dogs body language its hard to  say whether he is growling at pedestrians through fear or because he is truly over aggressive towards strangers.

I don`t know what he is like off lead amongst people either.

Your best bet is to have him assessed by an experienced dog trainer /behavourist (preferably ex, military or police dog handlers/ trainers) as they are very familiar with assessing large dogs with problems, and can judge the dogs reactions first hand. 

WE....can only `guess` at why the dog behaves as it does.

I would `guess` the dog IS in need of some proper training and needs to learn to obey its handler/owner when told not to do something it should not be doing. 

But at 4 years years  old, its going to be a tough ride, because its habits are now very deep seated. 

If you like dog and want to keep him, then time and patience is what you will be needing for quite a while. Good Luck.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.

It means he hasn't been properly trained or socialized.

I suggest you immediately contact a local trainer and start working this dog.

Dogs don't come with a preset set of instructions on how to behave, you have to train and condition them to behave the way you want them to.  This is a whole approach and takes much time.  If you've never worked with a dog before you will definately want proffesional guidance.

Snarling at walkers is absolutely unacceptable behavior and ... mark my words ... if you don't get some professional help immediately you better jack up your homeowners policy liability insurance.

Bring the dog in. 

Why have I read this same word for word question here on yahoo answers several times in the past.... little troll

Wow... I sincerely hope you muzzle him when out then as that really needs dealaing with.   Are you sure you have the experience for a dog like this.

As for cars at night,  the lights make a big difference so it would be good to place him where he cannot see the lights of the cars... is that possible. 

This is what can happen when you adopt an older dog (not a puppy with a clean slate).    I'd suggest something like this was going on in his previous home and it wasn't corrected.   Can you have him in with you at night, or for sure, in a room that's not attached, or close to, your neighbours.  If it's the car lights disturbing him, make sure there are thick drapes over any window.   If he's away from your room at night, it might be worth considering leaving a radio on playing softly?   I don't blame them for being upset with this noise at night!   But you may need to placate these neighbours by telling them the situation - you've only just adopted him so he's a work in progress re any habits he got away with, in his previous home - which this is, especially if you've only had him for 2 weeks.   He's probably more than upset at the loss of his previous owner, and now home.

As for the aggression with pedestrians.   For sure this needs correcting.   Carry treats with you when out and when you see people approaching, use the treats to take his attention on you, not the stranger.   Done right, this won't be rewarding him for bad behaviour.   Also even now, getting him into a good training class might help you learn how to deal with what he's doing.

To the best of his knowledge no one should be out on the street, not even cars.  The cars pass through his visual territory & he is just warning them to stay away.  Bring him in when he is bothering the neighbors.  You can teach him to not bark at all but that would be so cruel cause the only sound a dog makes is it's bark.  Dogs bark.  I hear dogs barking at all hours of the night & day.  On this street, a dead end street with a pedestrian walk through, so there is foot traffic all day & all night of people walking from deeper into the neighborhood to a shopping center at the end of the street.

My little dog barks at them all & so do the other dogs on the street.  You can hear dogs barking from all over the neighborhood.  We have high fences & BIG dogs In almost any yard.

Two weeks is not enough time to acclimate to a new home, with new smells, new sounds, new you, new sights & he don't know what is threatening & what is not.  You have to teach him what you want him to alert you to.  Dogs require training to be good dogs.  If this is a habit he had before you,  you have to change the habit.

• Amber

It's a process of elimination. You're guess is as good as mine, in fact better, because you see the behaviour and I don't.

My dog started barking, whining and pacing at night - just started at random - all night every night when she'd previously been an angel at bedtime and she slept in her bed in the bedroom with me. You have to try things.

So try putting him as near to you at night as possible, if you're leaving him alone at night it might be anxiety as you're his insecurity. That could be a temporary fix while you work on him gaining confidence. Dog's do act differently at night sometimes. 

I'll give you some idea that I tried before seeing a vet. Changing where she slept. Putting lights on at night or if they are on turning them off or using a night light. Radio or classical music in the background. I even recorded me and my family talking for my dog when I went out and played it in another room so she felt like we were with her. Longer walks before bed. Changed her diet. Got my groomer to check her anal glands and ears for infection. Once I had tried all the things I could think of I recorded the behaviour and took my dog to the vet. The diagnoses was Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (basically dementia in dogs). She is on Gabepentin that works 98% of the time and Diazepam for extreme nights. Going deaf caused my mum's dog to bark excessively and that started at night. You gave no age for the dog so I can't help. 

put him inside at night, even in the laundry. Not sure why you got a doberman. He needs some basic training to discipline him.

Sounds like you haven't trained him properly.