Have you ever work 56 hours in a week?

Probably never worked more than a 45-hour work week zxjqc

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• Fred

56 hours?

I was involved in agricultural center pivot irrigation service.  Some thirty years ago we had a wind storm come and destroyed 64 pivots! The corn had just been planted underneath them in the Spring.  My weekly hours topped out at 92! Some of the younger workers put in 103 hours in a week.  I had to force myself to eat before falling asleep or have severe hunger the next day. Sounds difficult but it was like closing your eyes and opening them again and it was all done.  Tear down of wrecked machines, clearing out wreckage, drop new machine in field, assembly of the new machine.  Hard labor out under the sun!

I did when I worked in a (government) office when I did the work of 3 people. At the time I enjoyed it, feeling like I was making a 'contribution'. Until my mother died, and I looked back and wondered why I didn't visit her more often. That was when it home how burned out I was. While working these hours, you get 'hooked' with no warnings until it's too late. The new girl in the office who yelled at me all the time while doing NO work was 'the' eye opener. The manager kept piling the work onto me without saying anything to her. He was too scared to say anything, because she had a friend who was a GM in another dept. ...  I realised my work wasn't being appreciated, but that I was being used. Do not ever put yourself in that position. Ultimately, the manager makes all the 'right noises' - but doesn't 'care' about you! (I resigned 3 months later.)

I often worked 70 or even 80 hour weeks in retail management. 

• Foofa

That and more is pretty standard in my industry, yes. 

• xyzzy

That and many more. When I use to do software testing we would work 14-16+

hours a day for up to ten days straight.  And I've had a couple of jobs that expected you to 9 or10 hours a day during the week and half a day or so on Sat, or Sun.

Yes, blah blah need to fill letters.

no, ive never done that

When I worked shutdowns at oil refineries, I worked seven days a week, 12 hours per day. Not very exciting work but the overtime was very welcome.

• A.J.

During my career, many times. A report of 2011 with a 2017 update showed top level professionals consider 40 hours in a week part-time.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/americans-now-view-...

38% of professionals in 2006-2008 worked 50 hours or more in a standard week. My standard as a respected engineer and project manager was 10 to 12 hours a day 5 days a week and 4 to 6 on weekends. For four years I worked nights and weekends on an MBA with a full Engineering job.

48 to 50 hours on the job and 12 to 20 on the MBA.