Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

At 20 do i have the right to stay the night 15 mins away from home w a friend even if my parents say no?

I have to ask because my parents TREAT me like a 16 year old. I am in the process of moving out. 

I actually got a job and they told me if i move out they're not gonna pay for my college and i have to leave my car at home. I think im just going to take a loan. i would rather do that instead deal with this. Thanks guys! 

That "car" issue is not that hard to remove from the plate. Just leave the car behind if it's not in your name and you don't pay the insurance on it. If either of those are true then it's not your car. More than half of college students do not have cars. No disgrace. It's cheaper, most campus' have businesses sprung up around them that cater to students needs. Most universities are on public transportation systems. It's really not a huge hardship at all. Get a bicycle. Bicycles are hugely valued on campus and in campus communities. Get a bike. A good rain jacket. Dial down the reasons to be dependent on your parents. Car industries are hurting because lots of people of all ages are rethinking the "got to have my own car" behavior that advertising has brainwashed people into thinking a necessity.. as well as cars costing, often, more than a year's earnings. Set yourself free from that burden! 

The whole "rights" issue, for a person who has been a legal adult for two years, has to do with the ability to handle the consequences of your choices. Your parents are not required to support you or your vehicle or your college costs once you are an adult. Which you legally are and clearly wish to be considered to be. If you use your parents' address on your college applications then you might be asked to explain why you claim to be independent but you can weather through all that. Persevere! And, no, your parents don't have to do anything for you that they don't want to do. Including treating you like an adult while you live with and off of them. They don't have to. And you don't have to stay. 

• Raja

Leave aside the right . Since you are staying with the parents be polite and respectful to them .Give them a call and say that you will get late by 15 mins and ask them to excuse you. Chances are your parents may not make a big issue out of it.

That is ridicules, You are your own person, they have no right to tell you who you can hang with. Tell your parents they can't sleep together because you say no

wait you are 20 year old adult and you should been thinking and planning your goals and future. anyway. that reason is your adult and you still living with your parents  and have to a house rules by them . i think it time for you to get a job and save up money to move out or plan for goin to college and then move out and get own apartment. parents does treat their adults children like a baby . i dont like that too. yes you have the right to do whatever you want if you still live with them. and your parents must be overprotected you . they should trust you by you have to be honest with them because if you dont then they will never trust you with any body include who where,what when you go or do or hang out with. you need to really do something for yourself . try to get a place for yourself.  most parents doesnt understand anything about that their kids arent really a child anymore. still they still treat us like that. maybe that how their own parents was like that to them when they were our age. you really need do what is best for you and not for your parents . 

Legally, you can move out. Legally, your parents can not provide food or shelter for u and no legal charges will be brought against them as you have reached whats called the age of majority aka adult hood and are responsible for your own welfare. Yet, when we live with someone in their own house or we visit someone in their own house, we are asked to conduct ourselves in the way they see fit in their own house. Like, my friend has everyone take off shoes at the door when visiting her, something I hate! Yet, if I plan to be in her house I have to respect her rules and take off my shoes and if I dont like it, i need tonfind a way to leave her home.

So, unfortunately in living in your parents home, you do as they ask or get ur own place. They dont want u stayin the night screwing some guy and coming home the next morning as they dont want to see that or know about it. 

• ?

You do legally speaking. But if you're living in their home they likewise have the right to tell you you're no longer welcome there. 

Your legally an adult at 18 go wild but if they are paying your bills they could cut you off and you may be a street person.

yes, they cant legally stop you, and i wouldnt go back home if theyre going to be like that

i think so but it might be tough. but also if u were in college u probally would have. but i think even in dorm there is somewhat security and shame. this way u are going to his house directly. hope u understood what im saying . tc.

basically in college there are more things that can make u second guess yourself. more people watching u enter a room, or check in or wahtever. then u might feel embaressed.

but outside, its like okay .we have full privacy

• CB

The fact that you have to ask means you probably have the maturity level of a 16yr old.