mellow asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

Help with my Betta fish?

My Betta fish has been doing great until a couple days ago he started sitting at the top of the tank and never moving, now he lays on his side at the top of the tank. It's a 5 gallon tank with a clean filter and heater, the water is also clean and replaced when needed. I don't know what else I can do to save him. please help

• kswck2

Probably ammonia in the tank-fish waste turns into ammonia. Thus he is trying to get away from it. You need a larger tank-Minimum 10, preferably 20 gallon for Bettas.  And you need some sort of filtration to prevent just this. 

First thing you need to do is check the water parameters. If you do not have a water test kit to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, then you can go to a pet store that will test it for you. My guess is that you have a spike in ammonia or nitrite, so your fish is staying at the surface to gasp for air constantly.

When you say you replace your water, do you mean replace 100% of your water?

You should almost never have to replace more than 50% water per week. A 5 gallon tank can have unstable parameters if you change water too much or inconsistently.

If your water is healthy, then you are probably fine. Betta fish like to rest near the top of the water and can sometimes just be lethargic and lazy, especially if they are old.

Hopefully he'll be swimming around again in a few days.

Good luck.