Anonymous

I'm 21, is it "disrespectful" to move out when my parents are advising (trying to force) me to stay?

I have a decent job. I can pay for everything. They are saying im cut out of their life if i dont stay. 

I do not pay rent to live here so no they’re getting no money from me. 

Again... I do NOT pay rent. I do not pay for anything here. 

• Good

It is disrespectful on their part to try and not let you

run your own life.  You are not a kid anymore.

Their threats are very controlling.  Say to them that

cutting you out of their life is totally their own decision

but that also means they are cutting out their grandchildren

too.  Then agree with them and say maybe it's a good idea

to be cut out, and that it goes both ways.

.

• Alan H

As you make no contribution to the household budget, despite your age, your parents probably think you could not afford to go it alone.

Certainly, it does not show adult responsibility 

Being an adult means making the decisions for yourself and then telling loved ones in a calm and respectful manner that yes, you are moving out.

You may be making a mistake. That is also part of being an adult. I've made plenty.

If you can take care of yourself financially, then it shouldn't matter if they cut you off right? But no, it is definitely not disrespectful to move out. You are grown and able to make your own decisions. Your parents shouldn't be so selfish really. 

• drip

Got to ask yourself why they wouldn’t want you to move on with being an adult. Why are they so wigged out about that they threaten to cut you out of their life?

They don’t want you to leave, that can be normal. But to threaten to kick you of their life is not normal at all.  It is possessive. 

Sit down and do your budget for all your bills and rent and moving and stocking your new place with kitchen stuff, furniture, food staples, bath stuff. Make sure you have an emergency fund for car repairs, medical needs and what ever Pops up.   Once you have the funds and want to move out, move.

Don’t discuss it with them. Don’t tell them you are saving up or looking for a room mate or looking for an apartment.  Don’t argue or debate it  with them. 

Have every thing lined up, then move out. Be polite. Tell them you love them but it is time for you to be an  adult and move out.  You hope they can support you in this next chapter of your life. 

Invite them over for lunch when you are settled. The ball is in their court

Sounds like they are going to have trouble with the empty nest. 

You have strange parents.  It occurs to me that they each left home at one point in their lives, and no longer live with their Mommy and Daddy.  Go about your life.  Stop letting others control it.  Your parents will get over it.

• Raja

You are an adult doing a decent job with a good salary . Whether you stay there or not it is reasonable if you give them something to meet the household expenses including rent .You have some obligation towards them . Ignoring such obligations and if you simply want to leave them it is disrespectful .  

Please do not move out of your parents house unless it is a negative environment. Maybe you want to party and have less restrictions? maybe have an intimate relationship over with no hassle?

Trust me it is not worth it. Your parents probably just love you in their own way and want you to be protected from moving out and going in the wrong direction.

Plus Covid-19 is out there.

Why do they want you to stay are they getting money from you? Looks like yes. 

Well you have a right to live your life, your an adult and they are financially stable.  Fly away, go forth conquer.

no, not at all. please move out.