Do you know how to hack?

Don't know any programming besides little python stuff from a tutorial. I am guessing that it is more of an idea than an act whereby you try and establish your footing in another program/software so you can take control of the computer. Whether it is good or bad is based on laws of country and your intentions.

So my question is have you ever done hacking for your work where it is needed or just in your personal spare time? Good hacking as opposed to "bad" hacking?

I could just Google research but I find it easier to remember information when I kind of talk person to person on forums like this.

• oyubir
    Favorite Answer

I did hack a lot when I was a kid (at a time when being a geek kids meant programming and nothing else). My thing was to add cheating capabilities to video games, and/or get rid of copy protection. So disassembly, and try to find the very place where a conditionnal jump trigger a life lost, or trigger a failure of game loading.

(It was more than 30 years ago, so I am quite confident that nobody could sue me to admitting that).

I also taught internet security far later (my last lesson about that was some 5 years ago). And in that course, I taught some elementary hacking techniques (and, obviously, how to prevent them to work) to my student. Very basic stuff: MAC address spoofing, buffer overflow, code injection.

But note that:

* Python programming is not what it takes. Not saying that there is nothing to do in python (you could inject code in a python program, if the programmer was stupid enough to call "eval" on user input string, for example). But generally speaking, knowing how to code in python is not what it takes.

(My line of hacking is no longer what is takes neither. Software are generally not even protected nowadays. The protection relies on the fact that you need an access to a server. So disassembling the local code wont do any good.The "mac spoofing, buffer overflow, code injection" part is certainly more useful. But I am not good enough at it. I know just what it takes to teach it. Which is not the same as using it in real world: my students only hack servers that I set up for them to be hacked)

* Almost nobody hack anymore. I mean, there are some real hackers still. Most of them very good (because normally, nowadays, everything is hidden behind some very widespread layers, such as HTTPS, or SSH. So, what it takes to hack a server, is to hack SSL. Which is near impossible. Of course, there is still possiblity to inject code in websites. But that takes more stupidity from the website designer than talent from the hacker).

But those hackers are generally not those you hear from.

"Hacking" of DNC was just social engineering (in political parties, you have too much people who have no technical capabilities, but are important enough so that they can't accept not having access to everything. So all it takes is one of them to give you his/her password. The hard part is to convince him/her that it is for security purpose).

"Hacking" of that adultery website (can't remember its name) was just an inside stealing job of user list.

"Hacking" of your mate facebook account in high school was just your mate using a too easy password. Or failing to properly disconnect after using facebook from a computer accessible by another. Or simply pretending to have been hacked to explain embarrassing stuff.

The first thing you need to do is buy a hackey sack.  Then what you do is hit it up in the air with your foot.  Then keep dribbling it with your feet, knees, elbows, or head.  Keep practicing until you can keep it up in the air for whatever number of hits you desire.  I'd start with a low goal like five or six times because hacking can be really hard. 

You're not up for the challenge.