What can I do to be productive after getting laid off ?

I thought originally I could read and write books

But the books are either expensive or cheap and boring

And I’m not sure anymore that it’s God’s will for me to write books

I’m also not sure I want to return to school to get a masters since I might not get accepted into a prestigious masters program or graduate from one 

Favorite Answer

I'll leave the religious part to you and your God, but for goodness' sake, you can read top quality books for free using your library card (ebooks without leaving the safety of home) or Project Gutenberg. (I strongly advise against seeking pirate copies online, and sincerely hope everyone who does steal from authors and their publishers gets a nasty computer virus for their efforts.)

Writing a book isn't something anyone is good at right out of the gate. There's a learning curve that takes about a million original words and/or ten thousand hours of effort. For most people who write well, that's years of work. You won't get there if you don't start right where you are, which is most likely Not Very Good.

A master's in what field? Few people who go for the degree in Creative Writing feel their study served them well as writers. Maybe it's another field of endeavor which would make you more sought after in the job market? That's probably worth the application, and the effort. Programs don't want people to fail; you would have professors and advisors to help you where you are weak, as long as you are willing to do the work even when it's hard.

Meanwhile, though, you can spread yourself over multiple useful endeavors. You can read. You can write. You can clean and organize your home. You can eat healthy and get some exercise every day. You can choose a small number of endeavors you can do from home and begin each one, whether it's a craft or a creation. (Lots of people have mastered baking bread since March, for instance.) YouTube is full of tutorials on everything you can imagine. You can search in earnest for new work, even if its "beneath you." Doing something that needs to be done adds to self esteem, keeps you busy, and puts money in the bank.

Don't put all your eggs in the same basket.  Spread yourself out a bit.  Make up schedule.  

Spend a few hours a week on catching up on DIY around the house.  

Spend a few hours a day job hunting for something to keep you going.  Hiring managers prefer to hire people already in work, sucks, but true.  

If you have a little spare cash make an appointment with an adult career coach to explore ideas you might not have thought of and how to best present yourself.  I did after the crash and it remains some of the best money I ever spend.  It was brutal to hear some home truths though, so be prepared.

Do you have a personal and career development plans?  If not spend time creating them.  (These are records of the skills you've learned and responsibilities you've been given as well as what you want for yourself in the future.)  These are NOT the same thing as a resumé, though your resumé will be based on your cdp.  Look for templates online.  

Stay in a growth mindset and do some small online classes for things you've always wanted to brush up on.  Maybe it's math or grammar or how to use spreadsheets?  There are lots of free and low cost providers.  Start with Kahn academy.  

Find a volunteer thing to do once a week or fortnight.  It will help you take pride in yourself and stop you from going feral.  If things aren't happening irl there are plenty of online collaberative projects transcribing archives and such.  

Get exercise at least three times a week.  

Write a list of five books you've always meant to read but keep putting off.  Grab one and start.  Read a little every day, even if it's only for 15 minutes.  Set a timer if you have to.

• Andrew

You can certainly read and write books if you want to. If you feel that some of the books you'd like to read are a bit dear, you could always try to find them second-hand or online, etc. It makes little sense that you'd complain about them being both too expensive and too inexpensive, but perhaps you're using the word "cheap" in the sense of "low quality", in which case, fair enough. I can't help you when it comes to the interpretation of God's will, but if you want to enroll in a Master's program, you won't know whether or not your application will be accepted until you submit it, so there's that. You should probably worry about submitting that application before you concern yourself with whether or not you might graduate. Lastly, one thing you might consider doing to remain productive is to get another job.