Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

How much does it cost to put a learner driver insured ?

I’m 22 female and my Grandad is 70, he drives a Skoda Fabia and said he will give me some driving lessons, I was wondering how much about will it cost for me to go on his insurance?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Ask his insurance company

• 1 month ago

Nobody here can tell you that - he will need to contact his insurance and have them quote him for it.

• 1 month ago

You forgot to say where you live, dummy.

Where I live, insurance companies are not allowed to charge any premium for adding a driver with a G1 (learner's level) licence.  But that's where I live, and there are no international laws governing auto insurance premiums.

• 1 month ago

if on learner permit you do not have to be on his policy.   once you get a licence, then you need your name on a policy

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

As long as you do not live with grandpa, you are covered under his policy as a permissive user.

• May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

USA answer:

It doesn't work that way.  Call his insurance agent and ask if you will be insured while driving his car.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Putting a learner on your insurance is not usually too bad, it’s when you’ve passed and go solo you’re a big risk and insurance companies ask silly money.

It will still be a significant cost and they may apply a large excess.

• 1 month ago

It would cost about what it does where you live.  It would not cost about what is does somewhere else.  The price of insurance is heavily dependent on location.  It would cost 50 if you live where it costs 50 and it would cost 10000 if you live where it costs 10000.  It does not cost about as much in one place as another.

• 1 month ago

Only your grandfather’s insurer can tell him that when he asks for a quotation. As every quotation is totally unique it’s not possible to even give a rough figure.

Usually it’s not much but that’s because as a learner you are always supervised and will only be doing a little bit of driving.

The moment you pass your test it will rocket to four figures. If you pass your test you also cannot drive home in your grandfather’s car unless you have already upgraded the insurance.

Edit: US answerers please note that Skoda don’t sell in the USA (and Canada). So US insurance rules which are VERY different to Europe and the UK do not apply.

• 1 month ago

not as much as you were expecting ..my son put his wife on his insurance ..she was a learner ..yes she was 30 ..but he got a rebate!...i will be shocked if its above £300 extra 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.