My service engine light comes on in my 1992 Buick Century but I don't see an issue with it it runs and drives fine since I got it from day 1?

So my service engine light comes on every now and then it's a 4 cylinder 2.5 L Iron Duke can someone tell me what kind of issue I am having with this? It's a really good daily driver too

And I know there's going to be a bunch of smart-asses saying why don't you take it to a mechanic and have it checked which I'm going to do but I thought I would ask on here first to see if anyone has any ideas about what it could be

I do have a plug-in for a scanner but it is not an OBD2 it's OBD1

It's a service engine soon light not check engine light

I do not have an owner's manual for this car it did not come with one when I bought it

Take the car to a large automotive parts store and have them interrogate your computer for free. They will tell you the code that is stored, if it is. Then you can determine what the code means. Then you will know something. 

Pretending there is nothing wrong and then holding your breath will not be helpful. If there is a problem, it will not go away on its own. 

Read about "denial" in some psychology based website.

• Bill

"SERVICE LIGHT" means you are due for an oil change ( or the last service person failed to reset it)  "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" means there is  something wrong with the system.

Replace the gas cap

The 'Service Engine' light is just the one that they reset when you have an oil change - google it and there may be a process for resetting it.

A *check engine* light is different.

TOO BAD you have the IRON DUKE engine! It stops making power at a LOW 4500 RPM!  But sin e you have it. you probably have a TBI injection engine, which I call a CALIBRATED DRIP injection or GM JOKE INJECTION.  I would try to clean the THROTTLE BODY housing first! Get RID of the GM AC DELCO junk plugs and install DENSO TWIN TIP IRIDIUM LASER PLUGS to get up to 20% more power and economy and SAVE your converter by doing so as LESS carbon will be MADE! Chances are your FUEL.AIR mixture is going off kilter and your electronic NOSE< the O2 sensor is reacting to it! Get RID of those plugs first! POWER WASH the engine with GUNK ORIGINAL ORANGE engine cleaner. TRUST me about those SPARK PLUGS! Chances are your O2 sensor is NOW full of carbon and can't do it's job! The GM plugs REALLY Are a LOSER in plug testing! IRIDIUM PLUGS will burn CLEANER and give you more SMOOTHE power and economy! Use ONLY PENNZOIL PLATINUM OIL and never VALVOLINE , an oil that NO FACTORY on earth will use! IT makes TARRY SLUDGE< VARNISH,WAX and COKE deposits! It MAY be time to REBUILD your TBI system with new gaskets. Let me know via eMail how things are going! I am like the SHELL answer man!  If I had that car I would replace the TBI with the updated HOLOSY version anyway! They put the injector UNDER the throttle plate, whereas GM put the injector ABOVE the throttle plate  CALIBRATED DRIP CARB< I have called it!  This is NOT real FUEL INJECTION. It is a COMPROMISE system! But THANKFULLY you CAN replace it with HOLLEY or EDELBROCK updated EFI system! >>>>run AMSOIL POWER FOAM through your PCV valve to remove years of RING DEPSOITS and revitalize the O2 sensor and the CONVERTER cleaned up.  AMSOIL is AMAZING stuff. I cannot tune correctly without it! I even use AMSOIL in the crankcase to remove YEARS of what I call VALVOLINE DROPPINGS.  

Service engine means that it thinks it's about time you changed the oil and did whatever else is recommended. It's simply based on the mileage since the counter was reset, and is only a reminder.  You're supposed to reset it when you do an oil change, then it will remind you again when it's time for the next one.

Check engine, on the other hand, means it has detected a problem but doesn't tell you what that problem is.  You'll need to have the system interrogated to find out what is actually going wrong.

Can we help it if our butts are smarter than your brain?  Read you owner's manual right off, and then you know whether you should take it to a mechanic to do the necessary flucking around on it and resetting the light so it is now off.  You want to keep it a good daily driver then you do WHAT IT DEMANDS.  If not, it will break down on you and it is tow truck time because you got the warning that the wheel was falling off but ignored that until the wheel fell off. in some back-road hick country that does not have Cell service.  It is nothing we are going to guess at because you did not say odometer reading on car, and whether the light came on when the engine was hot or cold.(and a bunch of other things)

. Some people DESERVE TO BE STRANDED.

Service engine or check engine? Two different things. Service engine normally means you need to change the oil. Check engine means there is a problem with the emissions system. 

• CB

How to get the service code without a scanner:

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/buick-century-c...

Yes, someone can. Someone with a diagnostic scanner that can read the stored trouble codes.  Many auto parts stores will read the codes for free.