Does having AC on in the car use more gas and if so, can u provide a comparison of how much more ?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

it does, but not enough to be worried about it. be more worried about driving faster than 65 miles per hour and accelerating quickly. i have one of those current fuel economy things in my car (2020 hyundai accent 6 speed manual) and whenever I do 50-60 mph, i get about 50 miles per gallon, more than 65 miles per hour I only get like 45 mpg, 42 mpg at 75 miles per hour. Air resistance does use up lots of gasoline when traveling at high speeds. I think when I click the A/C on I get about 1-2 less miles per gallon. But this is on an extremely efficient car that gets 45 mpg, I imagine that if I drove a less efficient car, it might burn more fuel to run the A/C.

• 1 month ago

I do not have the exact figures but I remember a study done years ago that showed that the AC did use more gas , but not as much as  driving at highway speed with the windows rolled down.  Overall driving with AC on won by a small margin.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not enough to make a difference

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.