Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Why is it looked down upon for teenagers to smoke?

I’m 17 and I enjoy a cigarette along with my Juul. You don’t need to give me a lecture on how bad smoking is and how’ll it’ll give me cancer, I know, I’ve known since I was a kid. I just don’t care, no smoker does. When I’m in public and I’m smoking people always look at me like I’m doing meth. I get that I’m young and not even allowed to buy nicotine, but that’s not going to stop me. Why can’t you just leave us alone. If you’re not gonna lecture me just ignore me, don’t give me such a look. Teens in other countries smoke all the time, it’s normal over there. When I was in Peru I would just smoke outside my hotel and despite being 15 at the time, no one gave a f*ck. Why can’t you be like that. Why can’t people just mind their own business. If I can join the military at 17, pay taxes, and even consent to sex in some states I should be allowed to enjoy a smoke every once in awhile. Drinking is another topic, I don’t drink so I don’t care about the laws. I don’t do drugs, alcohol, or anything other than nicotine. I work 9 hour shifts at McDonald’s for $12 an hour, i just want to enjoy a smoke in peace. 

• Fred

Why?

For every four smokers taken to an early grave, they take an innocent non smoker  along with them.

It's not the non-smoker's choice.  If you want to play Russian Roulette by yourself that's fine by me.  But if you set the firing pin on four empty gun chambers, hand the gun to me and expect me you join your entertainment game for one spin and pull the trigger against my choice it's worth getting abusive on my part to be forced into it!

Handle the abuse, get over it, you deserve to be tarred and feathered!

• Zirp

"why can't we leave YOU alone? " ????

For half a century, smokers have forced us to breathe in their precious drug, causing allergic reactions, heart-attacks, COPD and cancers. When we objected, we were told to "not be wussies". 99% of bars and restaurants allowed smoking, with the pretext that there be no demand for ones that didn't.

Feel free to ingest any drugs you like into YOUR body.

If it reduces your dating choices, that's your problem.

Just keep *your*  drugs out of *our* bodies

• Foofa

Because in general we want ta future generation capable of complex thought and leadership and it is a fact that nicotine use stunts brain development in minors. 

• It's one of the few things people feel very confident in being self righteous about.

You'll rarely find people lecturing others on the dangers of sugar when you see some fatty wolfing down a Crispy cream donut, or other pastry. You'll rarely encounter people lecturing others on the negative aspects of fast foods, including pizza, but when it comes to smoking everyone who doesn't seems to have earned their Phd in self righteous indignation and some form of self appointed authority on lecturing anyone and everyone on the negatives of smoking.

If you look into it there are numerous centurions (that's those living 100 years +, not the old Roman soldiers) who have stated that they started smoking when they were very young and continued throughout their life.

Is smoking bad? The answer is likely to be yes, overall, but it may not affect everyone the same and as with almost everything else, when done in moderation and NOT excess the negative aspects are likely to be mitigated by healthier more dominant influences.

Because for the Past 70 years we have been told Smoking Kills

maybe you are just insecure and worried about what poeple think of you?

and to the asker below me, the lack of smoking in the u.s has nothing to do with puritanism considering how smoking  percentages in the u.s were much higher decades ago. it has more to do with better health education, technology, and  better health outreach initiatives, 

• .

Peru doesn't have the Puritan influence, which is still prevalent in the USA.

Puritanism makes people keen for money and for patrolling others pushing their social engineering.

• Mark

Oh, so now we can't LOOK at you?  Well, aren't YOU precious, Karen?  Cancer, of course, is the worst possible outcome, but can you really live as a 40 year old whose skin looks like it's 65 and have a voice like Lucille Ball?