If I do not own car insurance can I drive someone else's car who does have insurance?

My friend's parents own a handicapped ford van for my friend who happens to be handicapped. Can I drive him in it without getting cited for driving a car when I personally do not own insurance? But they do?

Update:

in california

18 Answers

Relevance
  • car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Stephen had the best answer.  Other's got it partially correct.     If you are covered depends if your friend has"Permissive Use" on his auto insurance policy.  If he does have "Permissive use" then you are covered driving their vehicle.   If your friend does NOT have "permissive use" then you are NOT covered driving his vehicle. 

Bottom line:   You need to post which auto insurance company your friend has and/or find out if your friend has "permissive use". 

• 1 month ago

Yes, as long as you're a legal adult and you're not driving on a restricted license.

• 1 month ago

Since insurance follows a vehicle and not a person - if you are just driving him somewhere once (or on rare occasions) then his insurance would most likely cover you under what is called 'permissive use'.

If you are going to be doing it regularly, then you will need to either purchase your own insurance, or get added to his policy.

If you fail to do this, and they find out you are driving his vehicle regularly, they will have a problem with it, and if you have a wreck, etc. - they would have a way to get out of having to pay for it.

• 1 month ago

If you have a valid licence and the owner's permission, you're allowed to drive that vehicle.  Whether your friend is in the vehicle or not, whether he's handicapped or not doesn't matter.  The owner's policy will still be in force while you're driving, even if you're not listed as a driver on the contract.  That's how it works in California, because that's how it works in every state and province.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, as long as you don't live in their household, you are covered as a permissive user.

• May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

USA answer:

Vehicles are insured shortcake, not people.  Yes of course you may drive any insured car with permission and a valid divers license and be covered.  (The one exception is if you live in the same household with the owner of the car.  If you do his/her insurance MUST be notified that you live with him/her)

Sigh.....So many people have no idea even of the basics of Automobile insurance.

Insurance 101 should be required to obtain a drivers license.

• 1 month ago

Possibly.  It depends on whether their insurance covers permissive use.  Some does, some doesn't.

• 1 month ago

i think you can and they would be responsible if something happened

• Anton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The van has it's own insurance policy.  The van's policy will state  who may drive the van.  You probably will be covered. 

BUT, you may not, and would be is big trouble if you crashed.  You can read the policy, or you can ask the insurance agent of company.

• 1 month ago

In California, the insurance is on the car, not on you.  If the car is insured by the owner, it's legal for anyone with a license to drive it.  If it's someone who drives it all the time, the insurance company would like them to be registered on the policy, or specifically EXCLUDED from the policy.  But beyond that, it's legal, and the insurance is still good.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.