Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

why do tanks have to be started with a hand crank?

is it the only way? or is it for other reasons?

SORRY !! I forgot to clarify that I was referring to the old tanks.. obviously..

• arther

how old would they be? the last tank I saw had an air start system

it's in case the starter goes out or the batteries die or something. you don't want to be in the middle of a warzone and not be able to start your tank because of a 100 dollar starter.

They don’t.

They usually use an electric starter. Even the original British tank of WW1 had an electric starter. Some Soviet Russian tanks of WW2 were hand cranked because of a lack of materials and factories to manufacture heavy duty batteries.

Many have an alternative hand-operated starter but it does not work directly like on older cars: instead it gets a large flywheel spinning via a geared input hand-crank, and once the flywheel is spinning fast enough a clutch gets engaged to transmit that stored kinetic energy to the tank engine.

There are also some tanks which use a Coffman starter as an emergency alternative: they use something resembling a larger than normal shotgun cartridge. When the cartridge is detonated the gases which are produced are used to turn the engine and get it started. 

None of those methods can be used with an  Abrams tank though as they’re powered by gas turbines (basically jet engines). They use an electric starter motor but if I recall correctly they have more than one starter motor connected to independent battery power supplies, so if one starter/battery/starter power cable is damaged there is at least one alternative.

• CB

https://youtu.be/ROnb5ouBjNc

Youtube thumbnail

IN the case if the T131 there wasn't enough room for an electric starter (and I suspect large enough battery) due to the ammo storage requirements. 

Back in the day the engine oil wasn't as forgiving in the very cold weather too so likely the big diesels were just kept idling 24x7 if there was any action in the area.

Tank and crank,after a hand crank that you or else says about it,don,t have any relation with themselves!

• F

M1 Abram uses jet engines. Like to see you use a crank handle on them.

Just seen they’re made by Chrysler, wouldn’t give you much confidence in battle.

A British Challenger tank has a 26 litre diesel. You’d have to be superman to hand crank that. 

Correction 

Just watched a program about tanks and they hand cranked a WW2 German tiger tank which had a 23 litre Diesel engine.

Didn’t take that much effort.

I suppose as someone else had said it would be useful in an emergency though you wouldn’t want to be the one who had to get out to do it in the middle of a battle.

I would guess that with these old tanks the thought was, Would you like to be stuck on a battlefield with a dead or damaged battery and the auto parts store was closed?

Tanks? My van, I had a hand crank that came with the van. But that is a 4 cylinder gas motor. Most tanks, AFAIK are diesel so higher compression motors, so the only thing I could see that was possible was winding up a spring. When it was released it cranked over the motor. I am not familiar with tanks so google it the year the model and stuff and see the write up.

Where the frak did you get this absurd falsehood ?

• A.J.

World War 1 tanks maybe.