When somebody at work asks "do you know who I am" and you've never seen the person before in your life, how do you answer?

On a previous job, somebody I've never seen before came up to me and told me he needed me to come outside and jump start his car.  I tried to explain that was against company policy and he replied "Do you know who I am?"  Well, no sir, but I'm sure you are going to tell me.  He told me unless I got my butt out there and did as instructed, I wouldn't just be fired, I'd be super fired.  He said he would make sure of it I would never work again for the rest of my life.  About that time my manager showed up, he had words with the guy and the guy left.  My manager had no clue who the guy was.  We did have a battery charger / starter for company vehicles but it was against company policy to use it to start personal vehicles.  

On the flip side, a lady with the company told a new guy she needed her garbage emptied.  He replied "I'm not your janitor"  she asked him "do you know who I am"? He pretty much told her he didn't give a crap who she was, he wasn't her janitor.  She turned out to be assistant manager, he was wrote up for insubordination and he spent 2 weeks doing detail cleaning with a toothbrush. 

So just what is the best response for "do you know who I am"? when you have no clue who the person is?

The best response is the truth: "No, I don't know.  Who are you?"

• xyzzy

A lot depends on who you are.  But usually the best response is "would you like to talk to my manager?". And then follow your managers direction.

• CiCi

I just say a simple no

I’d say. “I’m sorry sir, I do not recognize you”