do you never get over your first love?

i broke up w my first love 6 months ago and i've been trying to move on but it's so hard. it's so difficult. everything i see reminds me of him and i can't find anyone else attractive. he's the only one on my mind and i can't seem to make it stop. will this ever go away?

• Jesere
    Favorite Answer

No, it will become less intense. In 1975 at a Senior function I fell in love at first sight.  We dated all summer but let each other go because he was off to college and I was to report for duty in the Navy. 

Certain songs would bring the memories of him front and center. 

In 2010 we reconnected,  his wife had died and I  was divorced. We picked up where we left off and so far it's been 10 wonderful years 

• Dv8s

If that's all true, why the hell did you break up with him.  The truth is you wouldn't have broken up with him if you felt all that, so I assume that he broke up with you.  With time it gets easier.

• Jerry

I'm a very old lady and I still fondly remember my high school sweetheart. But your question isn't about remembering, it's about "getting over."

Whether you sing the blues for a day, a week, a month, a year -- that's up to you. If you make your mind up to stop thinking about him, to put thoughts of him out of your mind and busy your brain with other thoughts, then that is what you will do. If you make up your mind to continue being broken hearted and blue, then that is what you will do. How long it takes to "get over" a break up depends on how much you EXERT yourself to move on, how much you ALLOW yourself to brood and mourn. 

I suggest you read the book or see the movie "Sense and Sensibility." It's a wonderful story of two sisters growing up in 1814 England and their very different ways of dealing with heartbreak. Spoiler: There's a happy ending. 

You never get over it, it will always hurt but not as intensely as it is right now. Throughout the years, it eases up and you even began to forget the things you swore you will never forget, then you began to forget what was the date of you guys anniversary or how his laughter sounded, and you learn to breath again, and began to open up to another person, and you will love them better. This takes times, believe me, it’s been for me 7 years, and I think of him here and there and pray he’s okay, and beyond happy, even if I’m not in his life anymore. You will find someone you’ll be so much attract to, and might began to love, but you will never forget your first love, it just will not hurt that much anymore 

Yes, it will go away for sure. It seems unbearable and like the end of the world when it happens, maybe it will still take time, but one day you will just realise it doesn't matter so much to you anymore

You will definitely get over it, don't worry about that