Homosexual union and rights?

I'm going to receive some flack for this but I want to know what others think.

It has been in the news this week that Pope Francis is supporting homosexual rights and marriage.

But I am conflicted because I also advocate for their rights and legal protections. But as a Christian, I also think that the church should not allow them to be married under the religion and inside the church according to the traditional Catholic beliefs.

So I really feel conflicted because I agree that they should be given equal rights and I even feel uncomfortable to write that they shouldn't be allowed to have the civil union in the church because part of me also believes they should be able to.

Does anyone else feel conflicted about this? Should Christian faith be altered to allow homosexual union or should it follow the centuries old beliefs?

I'm interested to hear others' opinions on this!

• KTJoe

I don't agree with gay unions/marriage, yet union hurts nobody. I also believe God doesn't mind if two people who love each other are married in church setting. The christian faith needs to change its view see two people in love as God loves instead seeing just gay, and or same sex people.

I understand exactly how you feel honey... 

Marriage is not only a hetero-christian tradition. It also comes with a few federal rights as well . So, that's where the cookie crumbles...  homosexuals have faught long and hard for those federal rights (which they deserve.) and are not going to stop until they get them. Homosexuals are not going to receive the religious tradition of marriage , but instead equivocal civil unions and federal rights to avoid religious conflict. 

Much like Jesus Christ, who  created an entirely new testament in the bible to better suit the new world, we are also adapting the bible to the modern times.  Homosexuals have always been a part of the church, we just pretend like they aren't there, oh but they are! 

When are we going to realize that God was an outcast too? Regardless of how you feel about homosexuals, as a Christian, you should love them and try to share with them the values and the brotherhood of Christian values. homosexuals can be great christian people too, but they can't be if we keep pushing them away, and what right do we have to do that? 

Let homosexuals be welcomed into the church. Like us, they are also the children of God. 

If homosexuality is genetic wouldn't gays eventually die out?  Since they dont reproduce, how do they pass the genes to the next generation?

• drip

He didn’t say marriage. He said same sex civil unions. Quote

“Homosexual people have the right to be in a family. They are children of God and have a right to a family. Nobody should be thrown out or be made miserable over it. What we have to have is a civil union law—that way they are legally covered. I supported that.”

As a Christian I have no problem supporting gay legal unions or marriages 

Frankly, it simply appears that the Pope has politely asserted that since Christianity doesn't burn people at the steak & stone sinners any more that the issue of SSM should just be a matter between SSM people and God.

However since there isn't any such thing as 'Christian' SSM in any Christian theistic scriptural consolation to sanctify & officiate such unions before the Cross with even as much as any Grey Areas, Loopholes or exceptions,, quite the contrary, Judo-Christianity from it's earliest origins has always forbade it.

So it does NOT appear that the Pope will be making any changes in that regard neither would even the Pope have the authority to anyway even if he wanted to.

Thus, it appears that the Pope's message to Christianity is simply a reminder that apposed to persecution, Love & Tolerance of other human beings regardless should always be the 'Golden Rule' without exception and that it's ok to just leave the SSM community of humanity to it's own devices and to God to sort out the wheat from the chaff come Judgment Day. 

• Jane

Civil marriage does not give regard to any faith, it is a right given to any citizens that wish to marry. Therefore you should step away from your advocacy work if you feel conflicted in your faith and unable to be clear and honest about your opinion.

Do not continue to offer advocacy work until you can offer a clear statement about your position. 

• Buzz

Good on the Pope. 

I don't care what religious people think, since they believe in invisible beings without good evidence.

• Kelly

Being gay or lesbian really doesn't mean you're not Christian and going to church every Sunday and understanding all the teachings of the bible doesn't make you one.  

I don't know any Christian who follows absolutely every teaching of the bible.  

A lot of churches pick and choose which sins are better or worse than others.  A straight couple living together with out of wedlock children a church often looks the other way, but won't for a gay couple living separately who want to marry.  The bible teaching are against both, not just a gay couple.

Many churches, even Catholic one are accepting of gay members but also tend to exclude them for things like weddings.  I work across the street from a Catholic church and they have a gay pride flag on their front steps, but would never allow a gay couple to marry in their church.

I have a lot of gay/lesbian friends.  Some of whom have married in churches, usually non denominational ones.  The vast majority though have not wanted to marry in a Church because they didn't want to marry in a place that really didn't fully accept them.

I walked away from a church that I attended for many years due to the fact that they had issues with my friend in my wedding who is gay.  I picked him over them and I'd do it again.  It was a family church too.  Both of my brothers were married there, my dad's funeral was there, the pastor there sat with myself and my mom at the hospital when they told us my dad was dying.  Several of my cousins were married there and I was active in the church.  Anymore, I go if there is a wedding there I'm invited to or a funeral.  I also was attending a Catholic church and got confirmed as an adult...  that is where I got married.  Now they looked the other way on things for me.  I was divorced with kids, however they didn't see my first marriage as valid because I didn't marry in a Catholic church or get it blessed by the church so to them it never happened.  However, they did think I had 2 out of wedlock kids (my kids were born during my marriage) but I could pay what they wanted so there was that.  Those same kids were attending their catholic schools and I could afford their tuition too.

• car253

The pope says civil unions are fine.   But gay marriage is not.   The pope knows the Catholic church is going downhill fast and lost lots of members after the child molestation problems.   

Gays have the right to marry.   Churches can pick if you want to married them or not. 

The pope is NOT supporting homosexual rights.     They are just pretending so they can look good.    It is all fake.   Gays deserve rights.   Like like everyone else.