Thinking of quitting my job I’m losing money ?

My job pays me by the DAY. I am neither salary nor hourly. Basically I make 150 per day regardless of hours worked. I can work 6 hours, 8 hours, 10 hours I still get the same pay. If I don’t work I don’t get paid. My company recently reopened it was closed due to Covid. Since reopening October 1st. I worked the 1st and 2nd. Then I was told my coworker I was in direct contact with had Covid so I had to quarantine and test. It took a week to get my results back and I did not get paid for that week I had to quarantine. My boss said because I’m only paid for the days I work they don’t have to pay me. NOW, I’m being sent home today because yet another coworker I’m in direct contact with might have Covid. I’m going to get tested again. I’m starting to become very annoyed. I’m actually losing money every time I have to “quarantine” and now I’ve been “possibly exposed” twice in 1 month and we’ve only been open a month!!! I’m strongly considering finding a new job. I want to quit this is causing me more stress then it’s worth however, I’m told it’s easier to find work when you have a job. Should I quit? 

• n2mama
    Favorite Answer

It is easier to get a job when you have a job as a general rule. So I’d say start a very active job search immediately and then when you land something new quit this job. You may not be making the money you would like to, but if you quit without another job lined up you will be making no money, so better to keep working and looking. As for how they pay you, it sounds like it is above minimum wage, even if you work a long day, so while it’s annoying, it’s legal. Many jobs only pay you for the days/time you work.

Should I quit?  YES!  F*ck that place!

• Maxi

If you are not in work you have plenty of time to start applying for other jobs and you are still employed even if your employer only treats you as casual

If you were in direct contact, with someone who had covid, you need to wait 5 days to test.  This will allow the virus to develop enough virus membranes to appear on the test, if you acquired it.  The virus does not show up immediately.

If you are in the USA, you would receive unemployment for these days off due to contact (unless you have exhausted your unemployment claim balance).

Why would you quit?  you only get paid when you work.  You can look for another job when you are off.  If you get a new job during that time, you don't have to go back.  If you do go back, you get paid.

If it's feasible, you should wear a KN95 mask and a face shield, this is what most doctors wear.  When employees are off work, you shouldn't have to be off work since you are protesting yourself more.  Ask your employer if all the employees can start wearing this, to avoid the transmission at work. 

• Eva

Check your state's covid laws. You may be able to claim disability and/or paid family leave time for the time you've been off due to quarantine. Your employer can pay you a flat fee for the day as long as when you divide it by the number of hours you worked the result is at least the minimum wage in your state.

• CiCi

I mean you can quit but any responsible place is going to make you quarantine and not all of them will pay you hazard pay. I work at a hospital and they don't give ANYONE  hazard pay