Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

is it safe to drive on plywood over a hole?

my parking garage is under construction and there is a rectangular hole in the cement floor that is about 3 feet long and 5 feet deep that runs through the entire garage for 5 cars. the hole is bridged by construction sheathing that is 1.091" thick. the construction ppl gave me the ok to park on it but I just got new tires, my car is electric, and it rides low(speedbumps can scrape the bottom). only one car out of the 5 has parked on it and it buckled slightly. basically half of all 5 cars would be on the plywood when parked. there is a plan to fill the hole with cement in 2 months. I don't know if this makes a difference but 3/5 cars are electric and the other 2 are SUVs. I'm worried that if the plywood breaks, my front tires would fall into the hole and that would damage the undercarriage and make it hard to tow out. Would anyone advise me to park there or should I just wait out the construction?

It is not something I would park on top of.  The wood would sag. and break.  I would stay out of there because the EV's are heavier than ICE.

Why does it take them 2 months to fill the hole? That can be done made, dug, fiddled with electrical wire, plumbing, and whatever and refilled and cemented over in 3 days. IF THAT LONG. Then 2 days for the cement to cure and then you can park on it.

Get some answers from THEM. AS TO why you need to wait 2 months.  It does not take that long to fill up with dead bodies from Covid as average death rate is 900+ per day.

I would highly recommend staying the eff away from it.

You don't want your car anywhere near construction anyway - the dust/debris from it can damage your car (and while you could most likely recoup any costs for cleaning/repair, it would require you to waste time fighting with them.

• F

1 in ply seems to thin to take the weight of a car. EVs can be nearly 2 tons.

Most of my floor boards in the house are 22mm which is pretty near to 1 in. 

Not quite sure in the actual size you are referring to. 

Is it 5x3 and a few inches deep or do you really mean it’s 5 feet down, in which case , I wouldn’t risk it unless you have a 2020 Hyundai Accent 6 speed .

A semi truck can park on 1 inch steel, I think your car is pretty safe on 1 inch plywood. Besides it's their insurance if you vehicle is damaged.

construction ppl gave me the ok to park on it

There is NO WAY I would park ON it. Driving over it is an entirely different question. I Frankly don't believe they put wood over a 3' wide hole.

Don't drive over it.  I would not even drive over a steel plate that thin.

If it is in fact AC grade plywood you will be fine, when you say sheathing I picture a sheet that looks like chipboard, which would be no good. Your car has a light end and a heavy end, and  it would be better if the light end was on the plywood.

Also consider these sheets are probably 4 x 8 so you are probably only sharing one wheel with each neighbor or you may actually have your own sheet.

1" plywood ?  I would think twice about walking over it, never mind parking on it.

• y

I would only trust plywood covering a hole, on my bike.

• Barry

Ask them for a steel plate. If your wheel goes through the plywood you will foot the bill.