Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 month ago

Mechanism to switch back and fourth 90 degrees?

Hello, I came up with a design for a product and need some assistance. My schooling did not go as in depth in this area as needed apparently. I am in need of a mechanism that can switch rotationally, back and fourth (being at either 0 or 90 degrees) but at the press of one button. So if it is at 0 and you press the button it goes to 90, press it again, goes to 0 and so on and so fourth. I know this may be a simple question to some but I personally am not familiar with many mechanisms like this. Hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction!

A stepper motor is is ideal for this problem.

Because you don't disclose what it is that you're doing with any kind of detail we are left without any ability to answer your question.

A mechanism like this will be no problem.  But you give no sensible details.  What exactly is it that you wish to rotate ?  Is it rigid, or floppy?  How is it held and manoeuvred ?  What material, how heavy, what the dimensions ?  etc, etc.  You seem to expect readers to have second sight or something.  You will  need to consult an expert, it is unlikely that you will find something "off the shelf" to suit your requirements.

• John

One cylinder snug inside another, pin or lever on inside cylinder that turns it, slot across outside cylinder that stops pin at 90 degrees. About as simple as you can get. If you need power then that's different.

• y

electric actuators,  actuators for dampers,

There are all sots of actuators out there that fit all sorts of different applications. The ones I am more familiar with are electric ones and the ones I first thought of for your 0 to 90. Were damper or ventilation actuators that I had to use in generator sites, in the middle of the woods cell hubs, and in AC units for certain installations.

• qrk

How much actuation force does this mechanism need. 1 ton? 1 gram?

Time needed to change positions?

Positional accuracy?