how do i respond to a negative review of my business?

If there's something that could be fixed, you can say "thank you" to that person. Negative feedback can show you what needs to get improved.

• L

First, READ the review, jot down what was wrong and FIX THEM !

• david

Deliver better service/products.

Depends on the kind of business. At the very least ask them to call you and then try to make them happy.  They can later edit the review. 33 years ago I ran a pizza hut back before delivery. We were packed on friday & saturday nights and when we were short handed, a few got poor service. I usually handed it by giving them a card good for their next pizza free. That usually satisfied them and it gave me a chance to show them its not always like that. We also had comment cards on every table where they could send to the company headquarters. There were no stamps so people had to be pretty mad to use their own stamp. Anyway, I usually sent them a hand written apology and my card good for a free pizza next time.  We did not have a lot of unhappy customers but I took care of them when we did.  We needed 5 waitresses on friday nights. 4 good ones could make do in a pinch. But one time, I only had 4 and they were all fairly new. It was pretty stressful for me but they got better and as long as nobody called in sick we were able to handle it without much problem in the future.

It would depend on the review, I imagine--in a restaurant, you can always offer a free meal to correct any problems the diner had with the meal they didn't like--in other businesses it isn't that simple or easy to fix. I would be unemotional and present any facts that were incorrect--but you're not always going to get a good review of your business, and responding to every negative one can be seen as making too many excuses. In other words, it might backfire on you. Be careful about responses to negativity on your reviews, because that's something the internet really can't police well--and there are people out there who would post a negative review simply to make you respond. 

disregard it and keep making improvements

That would depend on the severity of the review. On most, the writer is surprised when it is answered and quite often publicly answers favorably. 

Reviews are there for potential customers, not as a forum for customers and owner to interact.

Do not defend yourself unless the customer's review makes it clear they were out of line. ("Cynthia's Candies refused to serve me when I was coughing too hard to put on my mask" is something you could defend. "Cynthia was extremely rude to me when I wouldn't put on my mask" is not.)

It's appropriate to apologize publicly if your business was in the wrong, and to offer the customer some incentive to return so you can make it right. ("I'm so sorry we were not prepared for your group's arrival. Please accept our apology and see your email for a coupon for 15% off for your next group of six or more.")

Most reviews, though, you just ignore, both positive and negative.

That depends.  

Usually no good comes from defending yourself on a public forum.   It just makes you sound defensive and argumentative - not to mention that it's a real turn off to see a business owner call a customer a liar.

I don't mind seeing a comment that apologizes the customer had a poor experience and that the business will contact them privately to resolve.     Or thank them for the feedback and you've taken steps to prevent this in the future.  Of course this only works if you know who the person is, agree there was an issue and that you want to make it right.    This may not be the case.

You said nothing about the review.   Does it have valid points?   Do you CARE about making it right for this customer?   Is that even possible?   Or do you feel like you are being extorted to receive free services or refund? 

As a customer, I always go to the business first and let them know of my issue and give opportunity to see if there is a solution that works for both of us.    I too am a business owner and know what it's like to be on the receiving end of these reviews.   Some are fair and occasionally one is total bunk.    I know I will never, ever be able to please everyone, so most of the time I just leave the reviews alone.   They often disappear on their own.    Sometimes they disappear and then two days later you-know-who walks in the front door.   LOL!

Most savvy customers know how to read a site like Yelp.   Unless all your reviews are bad, one stinker is nothing to worry about.   Everyone knows there are bad customers.    So just sit with it for awhile before you decide a response is even necessary.  

And remember, feedback from your customers is GOLDEN.    Feedback, especially the stuff that reminds you that you that you aren't perfect, can really help you improve your business.

Just one ?  Why do you consider it necessary to respond ?  You can't get it removed by responding, and it will just look weak, and making pathetic excuses.  Let it be countered by all the positive ones.  It could be made by a grumpy old git who is always looking for something to  complain about.  Or by someone who is simply looking for a freebie as "compensation".  Do you really want someone like that to come back again ?  Just ignore it.