Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

Is it possible for Malibu Coconut Rum to change to an orange-like color in a storage unit? None of my other clear alcohols had this happen..?

Bottle is at least a few years old, I haven't opened it yet but hesitate, what if taste is off ?

" Caribbean Rum with natural Rum Flavor ", sorry if reading the label wrong earlier.

Definitely.

Malibu is a rum liqueur with only 21% alcohol. That’s not enough alcohol to preserve it long term and is low enough that some nasties can grow and thrive in it consuming the sugar content. 

Throw it away: your bottle is no longer safe to consume. In future keep opened bottles of Malibu refrigerated and consume them within about six months or so of opening them. *Far* less if you’ve ever allowed anyone to chug directly from the bottle.

Any time a canned or bottled product changes in appearance, texture, or smell, that's Nature's way of telling you to throw it away.

• Fin

Malibu, while a decent rum, isn't exactly top shelf.  If it turned orange, I'd be tossing it.  I wouldn't think it's the rum itself but the coconut and bad coconut tastes like a$$.