What would you do in this situation?

I recently started a job as a contract employee. When I joined my team had a backlog and the full timers on the team said that they did not have the time to train me on their processes. Instead another one of their new hires who joined before me ended up training me. During this time if I ever had a questions, I felt that the team lead was often rude in her response.

During one of my training sessions, we came across an issue that my trainer asked me to look into. My trainer also asked one of the full-timers to look into it because she had never encountered this before. I had to do some research but I was able to figure out a solution and it did not take very long. Later that day my coworker (who is also the team lead now) setup a meeting and asked me why I was working on this while one of my coworkers was also working to resolve the same issue even though I did not ask my coworker to work on this.

I felt unappreciated and have now accepted another position. However, now that I am leaving, my team including my manager keep on asking me to train them on how I resolved the issue. I already have a lot of work to do before my last day and will be working overtime (which my manager is aware of) yet keeps on insisting I set up this training session. Is there a way for me to get out of this without burning bridges? I want to leave on good terms but I feel they are asking too much of me. What would you do in my situation?

What would you do in this situation?

I'd do the documentation that they are asking you for.

If it's really going to interfere with being able to complete other items. I'd communicate what will not get done, as a result of spending time on the documentation. 

You either stay and do the work you're assigned or you resign effective immediately.

You do not get to pick/choose your tasks simply because you have given notice.

If you want to leave on good terms, you don't engage in behavior that would normally get you fired such as refusing to perform the work assigned to you or refusing to attend a meeting.

?????

Why on earth is it asking too much of you to take a meeting to explain how you did something that you already know how to do?   This makes no sense.

You have got to be a troll because no one is this stupid or dramatic over something so minor.

• Alex

This is a real simple question for your supervisor, "I am currently working on ___.  This trainng will prevent me from completing that.  Which one is my priority?" If he says both, plainly tell him, "Sorry, that just isn't possible.  Which is the priority?"  Then it is on him to decide which one gets done and which doesn't.  You don't need to get into arguments or explanations why there isn't time, just state that that is the way it is and stop talking.