Was humor different back in the 90’s than it is today?

I was born in 94, so I don’t really remember much of the 90’s but I was watching an interview of Chris Farley and he was acting “funny” but imo, I thought he was acting annoying. I didn’t find him funny. I don’t find any of that old SNL cast to be funny. Adam Sandler, David Spade are two others. I think every Adam Sandler movie is cheesy as hell. But my point is, a lot of people thought those guys were funny back in the day but now people think Adam Sandler movies aren’t funny anymore and they’re all just corny and dumb. So has comedy changed over the years? 

Absolutely. 90s humor would be #cancelled today. A lot of it was making light of sex roles and racial differences. White actors playing black people in blackface was common.  Also Donald Trump wasn’t president, which is pretty much the only topic of mean spirited jokes that some so-called comedians make. 

• Kathy

Yes it was different.

• A.J.

There was humor that today we consider offensive. There was humor that today we consider dumb. The big difference is that in the '90s there was MORE humor than today. The original cast of SNL was in the '70s. In earlier days a lot of comedy was in night clubs.

Friends and Seinfeld were '90's that I personally did not like but were popular.

South Park (1997->), The Simpsons (1989->)

I liked That '70s Show (1998->), 3rd Rock from the Sun (1996–2001) 

Comedy was built into TV drama with "Northern Exposure" 1990-95, "Frasier" (1993–>), NewsRadio (1995–>), The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990–1996)

And a younger group liked Boy Meets World (1993–>), Rocko's Modern Life (1993–1996), Animaniacs (1993–1998)

The movie "Groundhog Day (1993)", and Home Alone (1990)

I think life was a lot less complicated and silliness was considered comedic.

Humour in the 1990s like the 1980s was often political and angry. It was more left-wing than today with comedians more willing to attack right-wing governments like Major (in the UK) and Bush (in the US) than just everyone as comedy is these days. Comedy was less PC with jokes about gays and races which wouldn't work today. A lot of jokes were about subtext and satire like The Simpsons and Buffy The Vampire Slayer (drama, but pop culture and humorous) where today they are about which sides is right and wrong. There is heavy negativity in current years with Coronavirus as well as Trump.

Have I just been given a thumbs down for referencing the 7 year 1990s UK leader John  Major? I COME from the UK, even if the poster doesn't. The family even emigrated from Poland as well. Both sides of the pond have great comedies. The Office for example.