How is road tax payer in the UK ?

I was looking at cars on autotrader and saw a cheap car, the road tax was £265. Is that for the year or is that how much it costs a month. I know next to nothing about cars or taxes 

If you need a quick guide on how to tax your car (as you said you're new to the automotive world) here is a quick guide: https://www.jamjar.com/blog/how-to-tax-my-car/

I hope this helps!

wrong category...............

• F

It’s based on emissions , so EVs are zero, with the majority of new cars £140., but thirstier cars can be upto £450, after a first year £2000. Older cars can be zero to £450.

Then there is the jealousy tax, if your car costs more than £40000 new. This is payable for 5 years.

This sort of tax is popular in the UK , where the mentality is , if you earn more than me, all your extra money should be paid as tax, and if you have a better car than me , you should pay a ridiculous amount of tax on it.

Autotrader quotes the annual price. 

On all cars registered as new on or after March 1st 2001 until March 31st 2017 annual road tax is based on their emissions of CO2. The lowest category vehicles under that system pay nothing.

It all got much more complicated and potentially far more expensive for vehicles registered after 1st April 2017 ( https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables ).

Note that zero emissions vehicles pay road tax rated at zero. You still have to apply for road tax each year but then pay zilch.

• Neil

Road tax is usually quoted as a yearly fee.

It can be paid monthly by direct debit, but this incurs an additional charge.

Car buyers often get hung up on road tax, willing to pay a four-figure sum extra for a car that saves them £140 a year on tax. This means that there can be bargains if you are willing to pay a higher amount of tax, but if you do you have to be aware that the car will be harder to sell on when you want to sell it.

• That would be for a year, but that's quite expensive. My 2019 Mercedes has zero tax and my daughter's 2014 Peugeot 107 is £20 per year.

Some vehicles registered after 2017 such a 4x4s have extremely high tax rates such as £500 to 600, for the first year of registration, but drops over time.

yes every month ..what with depreciation and rocket insurance £500+ every month for you ..cheap in those 57 seaters ..comes in red ..blue ..and green ....now who do you believe ?