Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

What are signs that a cat has bonded with you?

I'm not sure. Adopted my 2 year old cat, first cat ever, about 6 months ago, and he's acting strange. Not SICK strange, just doing things he never used to do. He'll come up willingly to sit with me or on me, will purr a lot, and is out more. Are these good signs? I was told to give him time to "come into his own." That's what the adoption lady said. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Favorite Answer

Yes, these are VERY good signs that your cat is finally adjusted to you and your home and making your space THEIR space. Cats do not trust anyone and anything right off the bat. It can take time, and longer for older cats to get used to things. This cat, being 2, sounds about right. I adopted a 7 month old kitten one time (he is now almost 5), and it took him a LONG time to come out his shell and to completely bond with myself and my husband. He's long haired and black, and was passed over at every single adoption for 5 months until we took him. So it took him a long time to trust someone. My other cat? Minutes of being in our home, he was like, yup, MINE. Humans are mine, house is mine, other cat is mine, ALL MINE, LOL. The bond was instant. 

Other signs are-

1. Sleeping anywhere around you where you can see them, or yes, ON YOU. Cats feel extremely vulnerable when they do three things: eat, relieve themselves, and sleep. The fact that they sleep anywhere around you means they trust you. Bonus points if they expose their bellies.

2. Affection. Now, cats are not like dogs in that sense at all. Headbutting and rubbing are ways to tell OTHERS that you are theirs, period. They are marking you with their scent and trying to tell others that you belong to them. Slow blinking while looking directly in your eyes is also a good sign. They feel completely relaxed around you, enough to let their guard down. 

3. Grooming you. Licking your hands, hair, clothes, whatever. They want to try and take care of you just like their mama did them. Also, bringing you their favorite toys, which mimics bringing you their "kill" to feed you.

4. Willingly playing with you. Playtime is important to cats, no matter how old they get. 

5. "Talking" with you. Cats really don't meow to other cats in the wild. They reserve that special talent for their humans of choice. Both of my kitties are little chatterboxes with me, and I talk right back! So if your kitty meows at you, talk back calmly and soothingly and give him a pet. This will show that you're paying attention, LOL. 

6. Following you everywhere. My cats do not leave me alone. Ever. 

7. And essentially being a cat yourself. Do not force affection. Cats get on better with people that aren't overbearing and treat their cats like dogs. I don't come rushing at my cats or pick them up when they don't want it. I don't force them on my lap. I'm pretty much just another cat to them. 

Not all cats will do all of the above, some will, and some will do two. Some cats are very clingy and will only do a few these in a blue moon. Some cats act like they couldn't care less and will headbutt you and groom you into oblivion. There is no right or wrong, as long as they aren't running scared from you, hissing at you, biting you to draw blood, you're doing it right. It just took your cat 6 months to come around and feel comfortable enough to show thank you. It took our 4 year old that I mentioned almost 2 YEARS. We didn't give up and it was worth it.

I got a big strong American Staffordshire bull terrier. He kill cats easy. Killed several already. Bully's lives matter bruh.

It will survive fire and pass on its dna to generations just to have your back