Is it a bad sign to hear back from an employer, offering you a job late at night (9pm)? What could this mean?

Had an interview, employer said he'd ring the next day to let me know if I'd got it or not, didn't have any communication until 9pm when he rang to offer the job, could this mean I was second choice and the person he originally offered the job too backed out?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It could be, or it could also mean that the employer is a very busy person who works quite late and wraps things up at night when he's finished.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It would be good to know if there is a time zone difference. Getting a job is a good thing. But are there other red flags that are being given off or is that it?

• East
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It doesn't mean that.  I've gotten job offers on Saturday afternoons.  The person is jammed up all day and is finally catching up on non-urgent tasks late at night.  This indicates that you'll be working a lot in this job!

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

if he didn't think you were qualified for the position, he wouldn't have offered the job.  it doesn't matter what any other candidate you might be up against did or didn't do.  it's your choice, take the offer or leave it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

does it matter ?

• 1 month ago

It means they REALLY WANT YOU!

• You would have to ask your employer why they called so late. 

It doesn't have to mean any thing, you could be reading into this too much. 

At least you got the job, maybe some thing fell through with the other candidate. 

• Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unless this was an HR rep whose entire job is hiring people, he had other work to do and calling you was the least important thing on his list today.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It means the boss works late. What does it matter if you were the second choice?  What matters is that you were offered the position.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are only a few night jobs that I know of. You must be cute

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.