Is this a regular thing in the USA?

For some reason, here in ireland, getting companies and people to do jobs for you (eg:window and door companies) like to installing new windows is very difficult. They dont answer phones, they cancel a lot, they finally come out and measure up the windows, and then never get back to you or answer. Does this kind of stuff happen in the US too?  How are these companies in business??

• Scott
    Favorite Answer

They are often just as flaky here. They may be good tradesmen, but they aren't necessarily good businessmen.

• L

I recently, bought a Storm Door and also paid for the Install.  The place, I bought the Storm Door from, works with an install business and they notified them.  The install business sent someone to measure and then called me to schedule a day and time for the install. 

same problem in America.

It is common for lazy people everywhere. This is what the INTERNET FEEDBACK systems are GOOD FOR. Reviews of poor performance...weed out the bad ones.

• mom

it seems people do not want to do any work, but they want to get paid for doing nothing. 

The USA is the same way. It's only gotten worse with Covid19... I don't understand why service is so bad

Yes this happens all the time.

It has to do with supply/demand.

A lot of people have been spending a lot of time at home this year and hey, if you're going to be at home 24/7 you start to notice some things that you'd like to change or that need fixing.   Plus, it's more convenient to get these things done while you're at home so you don't have to take a vacation day to get estimates.   Increased demand.

It also has to do with the economy still being pretty good and the people who are working from home may have even more money since they get their regular pay but do not have to commute, buy work clothes, get hair cuts as often, use less makeup, etc. 

And lastly - which is probably the biggest factor - many home improvement companies have become very, very good at cherry picking the most profitable jobs.    When they have more demand than they can meet, they don't bother with the small jobs.

I have some big stuff I want done on my house but I'm holding off for the next recession.  When demand cools down, these guys will start to get hungry which means prices come down and they actually answer the phone.