Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I managed to get permission from my boss to leave early on certain days in the next few weeks. My problem is how do I tell the people that I?

work with in a way that they will not say anything to show how jealous they are that I left early instead of them.

A few days ago I left early without telling them. Some of them made a rude comment to me the next day they said thanks for leaving without telling us. 

• Chanel

It sounds like they are jealous. It is up to the boss if you can leave early. I may be wrong but they could be jealous and say that cos their  lives are not so good.

• Jerry

So send a group email. "I will be leaving at __ o'clock on the following days." If people ask why, tell them it's something personal. 

Send out an email letting them know you'll be leaving early for several days during the next few weeks.  If you know what days you'll be leaving in advance, then include those dates.

You cannot control or change other people, but you are completely responsible for how you interact with your colleagues.  Keep your commentary simple, along the lines of 'Just letting you know, I will be away on (insert days here)'.  You do not need to provide further details or justify why you are taking time away from your workplace.

just tell them you got permission to leave early

You will have to tell them, otherwise their resentment will only increase. I assume that the 'permission for absence' is for a 'legitimate' reason which might apply to any employee needing special dispensation for a short while.

You don't have to explain WHY you're leaving early, but you certainly do have to let your colleagues know in advance. Naturally if you just walk out of the office, even with the boss's permission, your colleagues will be surprised and resentful.

Communication is always key. So TELL them: For the next few weeks, I'll be leaving early on certain days. I've explained my reasons to Mr Smith and he's given permission.

If the days are irregular (ie not, for example, every Wednesday and Friday), be sure to mention it again at the beginning of each day when you'll be leaving early, so that they're prepared.

• Noddy

Tell those who are going to be impacted that you will be leaving early because you have personal business to attend to...

Since you've received the ok to leave early for several weeks, there is no reason to surprise your co-workers on every one of those days. Before you leave early, remind your co-worker you're taking off. If you turn around and leave just your co-worker with an unexpected pile of work you normally do, there will be hard feelings.