How should I store car tires?

I got a great deal on some tires that are virtually new, but I won't have a need for them before next summer, most likely. Should I seal them up in garbage bags or will keeping them in the cellar where it's cool and dark be OK for a year or so?

A great deal? Did you check for bubbles & sidewall cracks? Never mind. Just stack them in the garage. They'll be fine.

put them in the shed and dust them of before you fit them , or you can keep them content by keeping them warm at night and give them hot chocolate ..be ashamed i dont publicise my real name .

You can do what you want. Just out of the sun. They are "Not Fragile".  

Store them standing up on the tread, and keep them dry

• CB

If you are worried about rats and mice - toss some rat/mice poison in each bag- problem solved.

Get some of the big trash bags you use for leaves, put one tire inside each, use a shopvac to suck as much air out as possible, and then tie and/or tape them shut.

Stack them on their side, and like 'Robsteriark' said - check them occasionally to make sure mice, etc. haven't decided to move in.

• Jay P

The rubber compounds in tires are going to degrade no matter what you do but you can slow down the process by keeping them away from sunlight and away from electric motors ( which create ozone ).  Bagging tires and sealing them can also help prevent evaporation of oils from the rubber compounds ( just make sure the tires are not wet when you bag them )..

• F

UV is the biggest enemy of rubber, so stored in the dark us good. 

Also store flat , not on the tread otherwise they may get a flat spot. ( this normally applies to tyres on wheels but can occur on unmourned tyres).

Cool and dark will be fine.  Just make sure they're in date when you come to use them.

a few years back i bought my present car ..second hand ..it had brand new tyres fitted ..after 9 months it was due its MOT ..here in uk a car 3 years and older have to be tested to check its roadworthy ..it failed ..on tyres!..cracks in sidewalls ..tread perfect ..so i did some research ..seems every tyre has a date stamp on their sidewalls ..my new tyres were made six years before the car was made ....personally i would never buy a second hand tyre ..but check yours for exactly how old they are ..your life could depend on it ..you wont beat aging of a tyre ..you dont have to wrap them ..just dry and dark