How come when asked to name all state’s people leave out Alaska and Hawaii which brings it to 52 states?

According to Mister Obama, there are 58 states.

Obama: "I've now been in fifty-seven states, I think, one left to go...one left to go, Alaska and Hawaii I was not allowed to go to even..." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Youtube thumbnail

• Ann

No, including Alaska and Hawaii brings the number of states to 50. 

There are Only 50 states including Hawaii and Alaska

And I am an Australian Like there is only 13 Stripes taken from the British East Indian company Flag

Perhaps you are thinking of the states of Franklin and Indian Stream?  Neither made it into the Union

Fifty two states? Which ones have been added since Hawaii was admitted in 195?

Name all 52.  Go on.  

It's 52 states if you count Alaska and Hawaii twice!  8^)

There are 50 if Alaska and Hawaii are included and 48 if they are left out.  It's not 52 either way.

• Daniel

Who are these people that leave out Alaska and Hawaii?  

There are 50 states, including Alaska and Hawaii.  Apparently not only your geography teachers failed you, but your math teachers did, too.

• Andrew

Perhaps you ought to learn to count. If someone were to list ALL of the states, that person would inevitably mention Alaska and Hawaii. It would be impossible to list all 50 states without doing so.