Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 month ago

Is Coldplay the greatest band of our generation?

No.

For a comment that went before, U2 are a million times better than Coldplay. Everything Coldplay releases is all the same - dreary and boring. U2 has got life and passion in their songs.

If you grew up in the Bieber generation.......than maybe. 

But then a homeless guy banging on garbage cans, would also qualify. 

• April

Not really. I think their music is boring. They're very similar to U2.

If they are, I feel genuinely sorry for your generation.  Actually I feel sorry for your generation anyway, but you get the idea.

Certainly not! What makes you think that!

In no universe I want to be associated with!

Clearly not.

What generation are we talking about? Actually, I'm not too clear on generations, where one ends and where one begins.

I have been watching the global music scene for a long time, and to me Coldplay is a band that did some nice songs. No more than that. And that was many years ago.

Here, now, in 2020, I'm honestly not sure who I would regard as the "top music artists". Popular music doesn't mean what it used to, in the previous century. Young people so not aspire to be musicians in the numbers that they used to.

The best now, would have been considered mediocre in the 90s. The 21st century is not the age of great music, it is the age of great TV shows.

St. Vincent was really promising, but her 2nd album turned out to be garbage.

It's a difficult question to answer... what happened to music in the 21st century? Where is Bowie, where is Soundgarden, where is Led Zeppelin, where is Aphex Twin? Where are the new great artists? Do they live in a basement trying to break through to an audience on Youtube?

Let me tell you about the most recent artist that I enjoyed. Kamasi Washington. Jazz artist, saxophonist, doing music that feels new and fresh. There is still great new music out there being created, but you have to get out your shovel and dig for it.

• Jill

Which generation are you referring to? 

• Petter

Not in my humble opinion...

For nerds and emos 10-20 years ago sure.