? asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

Whisky drinkers, if I drink half a bottle in coffee would it have the same effect as drinking it straight, in terms of intoxication?

Coffee (depending on how much of it you drink and how much caffeine you're used to) gives a kind of buzz. Whisky (depending on how much of it you drink and how much alcohol you're used to) makes you drunk. They are separate items with separate effects, and nothing gets "canceled out" by having both of them together.

It's true that there are substances that will cancel certain other substances (for example there's one powerful antibiotic that inconveniently cancels a ton of other useful drugs), but alcohol and caffeine don't cancel at all, they just add together. People often think caffeine should cancel alcohol because one goes "up" and the other goes "down", but that's not what happens.

I wouldn't recommend your idea because I wouldn't like it myself - I'd rather just get drunk on whatever amount of whisky felt good, and skip the coffee - but your preference is your business. As long as you know that how much whisky you had really does show how drunk you are, and adding coffee can't make you less drunk.

Your question doesn't make sense .. 

Whisk(e)y and Coffee aren't the same thing.

• Audrey

Won't change the result a bit. You'll still get drunk.

Well, no. That's just math.

If you dilute your whiskey, with anything, coffee, coke, soda water, it's not going to be as immediately potent in terms of intoxication.

If you like coffee with whiskey, go for it. Just don't do that when you have to go to work.