Is calling someones house "small" rude?

I was with my friends, and we were dropping on of them off. When we got to his house his house was really small, and I said it too. I said "Damn your house is small." and everyone started saying that was rude of me to say. I just apoligized and went on my way. Is it rude?

Yeah, if you're not best friends, it might be better not to say that. 

You have full agreement ,here, from all the advisors I just reviewed, that you were indeed rude, as was agreed by your friends. Learn from it and try to become more tactful,please. 

It's one of those situations, and there are many of them, where your/our observances are completely unnecessary to say to someone. Unless everyone else in the car was blind, and NEEDED to know the size of the house, they either didn't need to know or could see for themselves the size of the home. It was a totally unnecessary announcement. For instance, when you see that someone's spouse is fat... they do not need you to inform them of that fact. You don't need to blurt out, "Damn, your spouse is fat". They likely already know it. There are lots of things we notice or think or assume that don't need to be pointed out to anyone. Usually it's OLD people who blurt out whatever they're thinking because they've "lost" their filters. You don't sound like an old person though. 

• Raja

If the house is small it is a fact but the way how you said" Dam your house is small" would have embarrassed him which is bad. Any way it is  good that you apologize .Think before you speak .Cultivate that habit to avoid making silly comments.

• ?

If you don't hang with tiny home enthusiasts for whom having a small house is part of virtue signaling, yeah, that was probably unnecessary. 

Yeah, your answer comes across as "there's something wrong with your house because it's small".  

Yeah it was rude. Hope this helps.

• Embery

A small house is small, that in and of itself is not rude. That being said, "Damn your house is small." Yeah.

• A.J.

Definitely. A home rental or value is related to size. You are calling him poor. And that is rude.

Yes, I would say so.   It is really none of their business.