Why can’t I rent a house with my partner?

Reality companies say we each have to make 2.5x the rent per month. He doesn’t but I make 3-4x the rent. And since we aren’t married we can’t combine income. But if I wanted to live there alone i could the same bills would be paid.. I don’t understand it. How does a group of roommates rent a house with these rules? 

• zipper

A group has less chance of getting knocked up for one.  Plus the people may have a morale issue with you two not being married.  You mite want to talk to an attorney this may be a form of discrimination?  Good Luck!

• car253

It is illegal to discriminate.   Check your local housing laws.   

• L

Rules are rules and income requirements are income requirements.  Play the game or stay home with your parents.

Ask if you can rent the apartment yourself, but add him as an occupant. Tell them he is your significant other but you don't want him on the lease, in case you did break up. Its a very good idea to do it this way, regardless, as you could actually break up (but you might have to evict him to get him to leave). They should, mostly, be ok with this.

I don't know how many real estate companies have told you this, but it can't possibly be ALL of them. Keep looking. 

• Jane

Shop around, as others have said. Multiple occupancy houses have different rules.

Or take on the rent in your name only initially, then move forward in your lives together- it seems important for you 2 to have your own home, and while it would be preferable to have an equal rental thing, I am sure you will together be able to arrange something such as a joint account to cover rental, bills etc. 

In time, you can move into a different situation. It's not unusual in a couple for one to earn more than the other.

Because if you rent together and then you dump him and move out, the landlord is likely to get stiffed.

Don't expect other people to give your relationship more importance than you have.   If you wanted to be treated like a permanent couple, then you need to get married.

Don't go to a company then, search local landlords who don't care about anything apart from they get their rent.

Why is because of the law that requires each person signing the lease to pay the rent in whole each month.  That means if you flake out by not paying your share one month, your roommate is required to cover the entire rent.  Thus it doesn't make sense to approve a tenant you know who can't afford to pay the rent if the circumstances require them to do so.

How a group of roommate rents a house occurs a couple of different ways.  Sometimes the landlord gives separate leases to each roommate, sometimes leases are co-signed by others to guarantee them as a tenant, and other times a landlord might choose to rent to one person and recognize the other as an occupant. Allowing one or more occupants is a risk to a landlord because they can claim possession of the property without being contractually obligated to pay rent.  I hope this helps.

Try a different realty company.

I got around that by  putting my name on the lease and asking for a waiver to sub let a room to my friend.

As long as I was willing to be 100% responsible for everything the second realty company agreed.

(The first realty company was a creepy old lady who kept giving us the side eye anyway and talking about what her  religion allowed)