can I still use spaghetti sauce that was opened but not refridgerated?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

as long as it doesn't have fuzzies on the lid or in the sauce I say you are all right.

• 1 month ago

did you open it today or last week? THAT information would be helpful. I personally wouldn't use any opened last week but if it was opened today, you bet, I would use it.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not if it has been opened and unrefrigerated for longer than an hour.

• 1 month ago

Not if you've left it out for a few hours.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Smell and taste it, that is the way to know if something has gone bad or not.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Lauri,that depends.Most canned foods that are opened,but not used completely need to be refrigerated right away in a bowl or a different container from the can they came in.IF,you used the un-refrigerated sauce on the same day,I would say that its' probably ok.IF,you're asking about using it a day or two later,I wouldn't.

• SW-6
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

IMO I would just toss it. Not like you will lose a lot of money to replace it.  Even if it was opened the same day you were thinking of using it, who knows what crawled in, did someone dip a finger in to taste, accidentally spill something in it?  Odds are it is ok that same day, but I always live by the saying "Better safe than sorry".  Good luck to you :) 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nope. Garbage. 

• 1 month ago

If you opened it today, yes you can use it. 

If you opened it yesterday I would probably toss it but there are some that will give you the answer that if you heat it to a boil it will be fine. If you opened it last week, definitely toss it. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Absolutely, if you opened it up the same day. Plenty of acid and salt so well preserved for the short term. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.